Net Neutrality is Dead. Are things getting better?

The new TV’s come with free shows from online and such, so cable is in decline. I’m streaming more and more, and watching 80% less cable. I mean you can get YouTube, prime, netflix and tons more options than just passive cable.

My streaming has had no problems…

Liberals Projecting as usual. See dems force you to buy from giant corps, or else in Obama care… lol!

Increasing competition helps consumers not corps. If I get bad net service I switch suppliers. I guess dems just take it…

Psst… the internet companies and the cable companies are the same companies.

Which choices do you have?

Yes… we all know that.

Att, charter, direct TV, There’s the new guys who are cheaper because they don’t have ESPN. Lot’s of choice in captialism… Is your service slowing down or something?

Many people live in a monopoly for ISPs. The problem is what happens when your ISP launches its own streaming service and slows down Netflix and Hulu so theyre unwatchable unless each pays them money to access their network at fast speeds?

Or if Comcast, which owns NBC, decides it wants the default news site to be MSNBC and slows down Fox News so its site takes forever to load?

Keeping net neutrality will prevent these scenarios. Destroying it makes them plausible. It would fully give corporations the power to effectively censor the internet, Squash start ups and competition, and dictate what parts of the internet you can access.

Many people have once choice for ISP. What do you suggest they do?

The ISPs have local monopolies. It’s nothing close to a capitalistic market.

Liberals wanted a public option. Liberals now want medicare for all.

I live in a major market, NYC, and I have two choices.

Heck… the city had to sue Verizon for not laying down Fios like they promised.

Wait… att and direct tv provide internet?

Also…
Att and direct tv are the same company…

What you will see in the future is internet bills at about $150 /month and cable bills as an add-on for $20/month.

Thank God we deregulated the internet. How else would Billion dollar corporations make money?

Thankfully John Donovan (AT&T Communications CEO) made $12.5 million last year and Randall Stephenson (AT&T CEO) brought home $25.3 million. At least they’ll be able to afford TV and internet. With their employee discount, of course.

1 Like

Is Zantax still here?

I’m waiting for him to chime in about how easy it is to build one’s own ISP…

1 Like

5G is going to be here anytime now and change everything

1 Like

I was just going to mention him because he act as if he was the all knowing expert. As an IT guy that know how this process works from a business and technology perspective I gave a little input, but mostly stayed out of the debate. Many didn’t know what NN was and kept regurgitating what they heard or read from any right wing based media outlet that had counter talking points.

Each of those services is a different technology. At&t is DSL. Charter is cable. Direct TV is satellite.

DSL and satellite are significantly slower than cable.

I’d suggest looking at the transcripts from their last earnings report.

OpEx and non-operating costs increased 6.7% and 7% y-o-y respectively.

Not only that…DirecTV is owned by AT&T.

1 Like

And they did $5 billion in stock buybacks while trying to dump their union labor force here in NYC.

I cry a river for Charter everytime they spend $5 billion in the past year to prop the stock up but don’t want to pay labor more and then claim that they have to raise rates

I really do.

1 Like