NBC: Mitch McConnell opposes reparations, but his great-great grandfathers owned 14 slaves

You mean the one that got more votes than Donald Trump?

Folks, this wasn’t a statement out of the Democratic Party.They didn’t endorse this. It was a news report. There’s a big difference.

As for whether it would help the Dems, I’m sure the Republicans would turn it over every which way and make it more than it is.

Agreed. He’s got no excuse.

They do. Gopers are too busy complaining about them to notice.

Their front page is a love fest for all the democratic candidates.

Under the top story about McConnel’s ancestors, of course.

Wasn’t CBS basically part of Kerry’s campaign?

No. No studies or panels. This is zero solution to any problem. It is a complete non-starter. The time for anything like this is long long long past. Bringing it up now is simply divisive. Nothing more.

2 Likes

Mostly they are dead by now.

Tax credit or educational grant program.

just giving people money will never get over.

True enough. I should have just said, “changed their names to republicans.”

No, you should have just left it with the people who were voting large scale segregationist have died by now, so they are neither Republican nor Democrats.
Its been many decades since an avowed segregationist has held a position of real power…
so far as I know.
I don’t blame current Democrats for what long dead Democrats did. Current Dems have their own problems. It would not be fare to make Dems pay for those past actions just because it is the same party…they didn’t inherit the blame.

But I won’t argue but that many white segregationist split the Dem party in the South after the civil rights bills of the 1960s were passed.

What?

Disagree… sounds like an excuse.

Let’s keep kicking this can down the road until it’s no longer relevant. Your doing exactly what cons have been doing since freeing slaves.

1 Like

Party doesn’t inherit blame any more than a country does.

With the big push for reparations recently from the left, I will probably vote Republican for Senate in 2020.

2 Likes

The US government is bigger than party. The US government implemented oppressive laws specifically targeted at black people for 150+ years.

Somehow people (mostly white) believe that nothing is owed to people who literally had laws written to disadvantage them.

The CRA is 54 years old. That is it.

as a Black-American what type of plan do you support.

personal I think a tax cut or a educational grant program (open to everyone no matter age) would be the best solution.

That will teach those uppity black people a thing or 2 about their place in society… am I right?

There is no push. It’s a bad talking point for some.

You think the systematical racism in America ended when that bill passed?

It’s a stupid talking point, nothing more. No one today chose their ancestors, or is financially beholden for their way of life. This is ludicrous.