NBC: Mitch McConnell opposes reparations, but his great-great grandfathers owned 14 slaves

The time for reparations was immediately after the slaves were freed. To say it’s way too late for it now is an understatement.

1 Like

Well isn’t this quite the plot twist :joy:

I love this conversation about reparations. I hope it reaches levels never before seen. Been kicking this can down the road for 150+ years.

I find it hilarious that this argument is used for paying reparations but not for building the wall. “We should have built the wall the minute the first immigrant cross our border illegally.”

We also don’t use this argument for many other things that we delay doing.

1 Like

Well, I’m not in favor of the wall, but I don’t see how those two things are analogous.

I get that it’s never going to be the most politically popular topic, but the reality is that minorities in this country were put at a historic disadvantage because of both hundreds of years of slavery and well over a hundred years of mistreatment that came afterwards. White America can choose to ignore it or we can make an attempt to acknowledge what took place and take steps towards rectifying a stain on our collective past.

Mitch McConnell is a pretty awful person but that isn’t because his ancestors owned slaves.

2 Likes

In yours ( and many others) argument against reparations… the thought comes up that we should have done it right after they were freed. Although I agree with you, that wasn’t the case for many reasons.

However, that is not a good excuse to not do something.

Actually, it is, because the reparations issue was time sensitive. The idea would be that the people responsible for the suffering would be responsible for making amends to those who suffered. That’s impossible now, no?

1 Like

Let’s be honest about the fact that reparations should also include all of the Jim Crow era battles that minorities had to go through in order to reach something even resembling equality under the law.

2 Likes

Libs won’t settle until there is collective punishment for being an Americans.

1 Like

If we wear enough flag lapel pins we can just ignore everything bad the country has ever done. I think that is in the constitution somewhere, right?

2 Likes

I’m glad you brought that up because I was wondering, how would that be worked out, then? Check voting records of people of that era? Who are you planning to hand the bill to?

1 Like

The ones who did that did change their names. Now they’re called republican.

The US government

Who says? You?

Reparations starts with slavery but doesn’t end with it. Must count Jim Crow era.

So, taxpayers. So, black people will pay for their own reparations? That’s comical.

Who says, you? And you already quoted my response to that.

Plenty of good questions that I do not know the answers to. That is why many who are in favor of examining the issue believe a study or panel should be formed to fully look into it and try to come up with a sensible solution.

No, it’s not. But given the discussion lately about reparations and McConnell’s feelings about the subject, it will be interesting if this story develops or not. I didn’t imply at all that McConnell was responsible.

Haven’t seen the polls, but it wouldn’t surprise me.