NBC: Mitch McConnell opposes reparations, but his great-great grandfathers owned 14 slaves

100% Federal Tax exemption is my number 1. For as many generations/years as there was slavery.

After that… I’d settle for a 25-50 billion fund for educational and economic development of African Americans. Small business grants without the requirement for credit approval. Just a business plan reviewed and excepted by a panel. Maybe more incentives to black people who want to open businesses in underprivileged areas.

so Black-American today don’t still struggle with a system designed to oppress them.

I never said that, but it was certainly an action to greatly reduce any such discrimination.

Why would you feel punished? Who’s blaming YOU specifically?

You and others that think like you should focus your energy on the US government. Blaming the victims is not a good look.

we have Tax exemption in Canada for Aboriginal it has gone somewhat okay but create a lot of resentment.

I support educational and economic grant program the best way to empower people out of poverty is to teach them out to fish

How much credit does an abusive husband get for stopping the abuse?

but that discrimination still exist and the government need to fix it we should be empowering Black American and their communities not leaving them to rot and die like we have done with aboriginals.

we should also empower poor white people too but that is another thread.

Since it is presumably the Federal government that would be making these payments, what system does the Federal government currently have in place to oppress blacks?

Tax exemption probably will never happen. But it kills the “you are taking money out of my pocket” argument that has been made a few times

I think the fund should happen. Which effectively does the same thing. Just requires a bit more work and desire to run a business.

The justice system.

If, and I say if, there is a systematic oppression here, then the Federal government should do what any progressive should support…attempt to correct it.

Agreed and one way to correct that is to empower African-American though grant programs.

when African-American talk about reparation they don’t want them from your or white people, they want them from the Federal Government.

Correction isnt just stopping the oppression. It restitution to the oppressed.

Presumably then restitution would just go to these felons.

Yep look at college admission.

the government ended segregation but that didn’t help blacks get into college so the government restructure the system to force them to accept blacks to get their grants

something just changing the law doesn’t solve anything you need to drag people by their feet.

You are talking about something like the “great society”. An attempt to fix social problems through the federal government.
Such programs can reasonably be discussed and tried. They have been and doubtless will be.
Doing it based on race and long dead history and not need is a completely different thing.
There is no historical obligation (or debt, one way or the other) passed by ones genes.

The reason why people are talking about doing it based on race is because there is systematic racism.

simply passing a law saying “we treat everyone the same” doesn’t change how society views and treats people.

race, religion, economic statue change how the justice system work for you, it changes how the police approach you, etc

To add…

Simply removing the oppressive behavior isn’t “reparations” or “restitution”. No one gives the domestic abuser a pat on the back when he decides to stop being abusive. No one should believe the US repaid anyone just because they stopped oppressing.

Ok. So somehow the Federal government is going to punish white people for perceived racial characteristics of subjective interpretations of behavior and fine them for it (which is what any such system does).
If police (of any color) tend to be more defensive around blacks, quite possibly for that higher crime rate you alluded to earlier, you are going to have the federal government step in and fine all white people.

As I see it, this is just institutionalizing a race war, not attempting to reduce racial conflicts.

You end racism by ending racism, not creating more.

3 Likes