National Enquirer publisher says they paid off Playboy model Karen McDougal in concert with Trump’s presidential campaign

Where did I say his opinion is bulletproof? But he is by no means the only “authority” on the issue that believes no violation was committed, because the law specifically exempts such sort of payments irrespective of any political campaign.

Ironically, it was the Nation Enquirer that broke the John Edwards adultery story.

So what?

None of his jail time is for campaign law violations. It is as I stated above, for tax fraud, bank fraud, and lying to Congress about the Trump Hotel/Russia connection.

I read it. Apparently you didn’t.

So what?

………

It is shorthand for calling out sophistry.

Well… I guess it is more letters than sophistry so it can’t be shorthand… hmmmmm.

Maybe lingo. Yeah… lingo. That’s it.

1 Like

I understand that those things have nothing to do with the OP topic.

Never use one word when many words will do. :wink:

Really? Because setting up a shell corporation and then paying back Cohen by knowingly accepting fraudulent invoices in order to bury the truth is something that we used to consider a bad thing in this country.

1 Like

Very untrue.

^^^^^ says guy with the Theater degree and studied so much Shakespeare my brain leaked out of my ears ^^^^^

1 Like

I remember that breaking I didn’t know it was them. I did know that some of their stories happened to be true. I just thought overall it was the alien abduction magazine :slight_smile:

:rofl:

If you had read the sentencing memo, you’d know that the judge made in very clear that he was grouping the campaign finance charges with the tax evasion charges.

In fact, the judge goes into quite a bit of detail about the campaign finance violations, I’m very surprised you missed it.

Here’s a link, just in case you were lying when you claimed to have read it:

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/5453401-SDNY-Cohen-sentencing-memo.html

2 Likes

It just puts your desperate appeals to authority in perspective.

So you didn’t read the memo.

Color me unsurprised.

The US Attorney for the Southern District of NY - appointed by Trump - disagrees with you, and any fake authorities you choose to believe.

The law has no such exemption. You made that up.

2 Likes

It is a bad thing, but it’s still not what Cohen is going to prison for, and it still isn’t necessarily a violation of campaign law. Just because Cohen said n his admission of guilt that the payments were to influence the election, does not change the fact that the law does not consider payments that likely would have been made irrespective of an election to be campaign contributions. A guy like Cohen will say anything the Prosecutor wants him to say, to reduce his sentence. Surely you must know that.

Hey, I was just agreeing with you. You going to argue about that too? :wink:

Desperate appeals to authority? What on earth are you talking about?

I read it. 36 months for tax fraud and lying on a loan application and another two months n the Special Prosecutor’s complaint of lying to Congress, to be served concurrently. No time added for campaign law violations.

I did not make it up. The law defines expenditures for personal use, namely, any expense of a person that would exist irrespective of the candidate’s election campaign. Payments by a prominent married man to shut up a woman (or two) about an affair to avoid that exposure, while not spelled out specifically, certainly fall into that category. Particularly from a scumbag like Trump who has a history of paying people to drop legal and/or embarrassing issues.