Nancy “No Negotiations” Pelosi

The Mainstream Media claimed that Trump painted himself into a corner by demanding a wall. But as usual the MSM got it wrong.
It is Pelosi who painted herself into a corner. She proclaimed the wall to be immoral. That means she can’t provide ANY money for it, otherwise it will make her look like a hypocrite.
Trump is willing to negotiate on the amount of funding for the wall, while Nancy wants exactly zero. That means no negotiating, the exact opposite of what a leader of Congress should want in dealings with the White House.

PhillyGuy

1 Like

If that’s a painted corner, then how does the President look right now? Mexico was supposed to pay–not Americans.

Open the government.

1 Like

Not sure if she specifically called a wall “immoral,” maybe I’m wrong. She did say border security could be further discussed once the government was open. Once the government opens I could see negotiations between the two sides which could include a wall, DACA, pathway to citizenship, etc. There’s no reason negotiations can’t happen after the government has opened.

Well, it is.

Trump was ready to sign a deal, then his mind changed due to other influences.

Now he’s refusing to budge on his $5.7B.

Mexico is paying for the in the excise taxes we charge them under the new NAFTA that our president put in place… and about those poor gov worker, your not forced to work, you can quit anytime you want and work in the real world…

It’s almost as if our fate is being determined by a dementia patient.

2 Likes

Since Trump’s renegotiation of NAFTA has not yet been enacted, those excise taxes out are referring to exist only in your imagination. I think you are giving us some insight into why Trump went bankrupt so many times. The idea of deal is not the implementation of a deal.

You are mis-characterizing Pelosi’s position, which is actually “no negotiations until the government is reopened.” This is akin to Israeli’s position that it does not negotiate with terrorists who seize hostages. I wonder if you would condemn the Israeli position as well?

Both sides are in corners. The Democratic Party represents a large number of people who view the Wall as no more than a monument to RACISM and will be furious if any concession is made. The Republican Party represents a large number of people who view any policy other than deportation of undocumented immigrants as AMNESTY! and will be furious if any concession is made. You could hear the amnesty cry on Saturday when Trump proposed a temporary short extension of the suspension of deportation for a portion of those covered by DACA.

This is why the only “political” solution has been to kick the can on doing anything about immigration down the road, because of the political costs of any policy other than the status quo are insupportable. The tragedy is that trying to gain points on Pelosi (painted herself into a corner) or Trump (painted himself into a corner) is all part of a process that fails to address our needs as a nation as well as the needs of those suffering in Latin America.

2 Likes

Government employment IS part of the real world. If you have any doubts, try getting a passport without a government worker. Try applying for social security benefits without a government worker. Try getting through the security lines at the airport without a government worker. Try visiting a national park without a government worker.

I could go on and on…

By that viewpoint which will mean there will be no negotiation with the President unlike every other leader of Congress there has ever been. She is willing to keep hundreds of thousands of federal workers unpaid rather than being a responsible leader.

PhillyGuy

You are mis-characterizing Pelosi’s position, which is actually “no negotiations until the government is reopened.” This is akin to Israeli’s position that it does not negotiate with terrorists who seize hostages. I wonder if you would condemn the Israeli position as well?

I’m quoting what she said, the wall is immoral. That means she wants ZERO funding for it. Every other case, there has been compromise been Congress and President. This is the only case where the leader of Congress has stated no compromise.

The “hostage” analogy is not valid either. It’s not like Pelosi, who’s been in Congress for a hundred years, had no idea the government could be shutdown. They had ample opportunity to come to a DEAL before now to avert the shutdown. It is because she refused to compromise that led the government to be shutdown and why it continues to be shutdown.

PhillyGuy

Its almost like you’re saying what shes doing is immoral. Backed yourself into a corner eh?

Trump was ready to sign a deal, then his mind changed due to other influences.
Now he’s refusing to budge on his $5.7B.

Actually, Trump is willing to compromise on the number. It is Pelosi who is unwilling to compromise on her ZERO funding position.

PhillyGuy

Perhaps you can post a link in which trump can be quoted as saying he will take less money.

Allan

It’s almost as if our fate is being determined by a dementia patient.

I wouldn’t make jokes about our leaders having dementia with Nancy Pelosi as the leader of Congress.

PhillyGuy

There cannot be a deal until the president stops holding hostages. Reopen the government now so that we can debate further border security measures. Hostage taking should not be rewarded.

1 Like

It is Pelosi who is holding hostages because it is SHE who is refusing to negotiate, unlike every other leader of Congress who has ever been.

PhillyGuy

There is no reason for the Senate not to take up and vote on the GOP budget bills the House passed. Trump can sign those and open the government, then all parties can negotiate border security. Why won’t the GOP Senate vote on The House bills that have passed?

Paul Ryan never compromised. Look at the multiple repeals of Obamacare.

Allan