My question for forum libs

No.

Sure seems like it.

Thanks. One very limited context, which I don’t believe applies to the US.

Perhaps we should discuss “countryism”.

Translated, not coined: Carl Hilty - Willensnation

Civic nationalism is voluntary. And there’s your difference.

It gets thrown around to much most of the time unwarranted. I know nothing of the proud boys and could care less because they are few in number. But the term white nationalist, racist, etc… is 100% a weaponized term that should only be used when it is a 100% true.

The problem is it gets fired out every day there’s nothing one can do to prove otherwise they are not a racist so the stigma will stick. I am sure people wouldn’t want to be called a pedophile thrown out at them because they don’t share their political views.

Both are terms that will alienate you from society and get you fired from your job.

This started around eight years ago the Twitter mob I remember the story of a girl who made some stupid statement when traveling to Africa. Something in the line of “traveling to Africa probably will get aids haha”.

Granted not the best of humor, as her plane was was landing her phone was going off and the Twitter mob was already out with pitchforks. When she got home she was fired because of the social media shame mob. So yes it is a very horrible accusation to be thrown around as easy as has been.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s the point.

But the focus of nationalism, as it exists today in the United States, is preventing people from voluntarily joining our nation.

Again, disagree. It does put obstacles in the path. I say that as one who has negotiated it more than once.

Define “ethnicity” please.

You didn’t go quite where I expected you to, but very close.

“Obstacles” that take decades to get around.

Civic nationalism isn’t defined as being voluntary - as long as you have the right amount of money, education or skills - otherwise you’re ■■■■■■.

It can.

Back to emotions. Let’s get back on track.

Is what Canada did nationalist?

Is “America First” nationalist?

We’ve had this conversation before, and we both know what “ethnicity” means. It means a nation, as classically defined.

Maybe. Not really.

The phrase was coined by a pseudo-facsist American interest group built to oppose the United States entry into WWII.

So, yeah. Not a fan of that slogan.

Not a country, correct?

Is it race?

Correct.

To the extent the term “race” means anything, it’s part of it.

Why not?

:joy: So what? Were they wrong about Europe?

Because nationalism isn’t defined by “putting their interests above others”.

All politics is about putting your interests ahead of others.

Was who wrong about Europe? How were they wrong?

I dont know what you’re trying to ask.

Were they wrong about Europe?

Yes it is. Look at the Stanford link.

Is it? Domestic politics?

@TheDoctorIsIn good discussion, as usual. Thank you.

I believe you are trying to split hairs and redefine, so I’ll bow out now.

More like you give us 99% of what we want and we will beat you over the head with the other 1% until you give us that too while the media berates you for not being bi-partisan.

1 Like

What? We were cooperating with the Soviet Union during the space race? Really?

2 Likes