My question for forum libs

Agreed.

I did.

Naaa… justva few examples;
mathematics was advanced to improve the accuracy of cannon. Synthetics were invented to mitigate loss of natural resources in territories lost in war. Radar was invented to detect enemy.

And the spinoff of those are all are used in the development of medical life saving equipment.

I could go on and on.

This?

the attitude that the members of a nation have when they care about their identity as members of that nation

So what’s your opinion of Apollo program and moon landing @TheDoctorIsIn
I noticed you avoided that question.

It was a joke.

Agreed?

I don’t think so. @TheDoctorIsIn is incorrect, but nationalism is collectivist.

Oh…you’re a regular Mr Giggles.

1 Like

Yes. Did you read the rest of the page?

Yes, but quickly.

Yes, I think nationalism can be pushed into hive mind if we aren’t careful.

I like to think we are more civic nationalism then anything else.

What? When did you ask me about the Apollo program?

It’s possible that I missed it?

The Apollo program would never have happened if we hadn’t - in cooperation and peace - smuggled a whole lot of Nazi scientists into the country and gave them fresh lives.

In a balanced sort of way… individualism needs some protection from those who would deprive a man of his individualism. And then protection is obtained through a collectivist approach to security.

Already happened.

Of course it can. But if you read the Stanford link, they are basically making the distinction between “nation” as in the 11 American Nations (Woodard, 13 Sneaky) and “country” as a political division.

And I think @TheDoctorIsIn is trying to cross back and forth to create a narrative.

On a fairly basic, fundemental level, civic nationalism requires essentially open borders.

Why?

Watch this @conan

Not so sure, need to think about that. I think Doc is trying to have his objections without having to object. That lawyer speak. :wink:

Because inherent in the concept of civic nationalism is that it is based on a voluntary and open nation. It is, by definition, open to any who share its values and choose to join.