Muppets Are Racist

It might be scary if they were actually censoring anything. As it stands, I don’t really pay attention to the disclaimers anyway. Then again, I grew up watching most of this stuff. There’s plenty of stuff I see now on those shows that sailed right over my head when I was a kid. Probably because when I was a kid I didn’t give a ■■■■ about it. Probably because racism is something that’s taught.

1 Like

Yeah… mostly… there is that part of Dumbo that is really really minstrel.

That is pretty bad.

I can’t remember the name of it, but Disney World is axing one of their rides because it was based on an older movie that was based on the stereotypes of the Old South. A movie that can no longer be found anywhere that I know of. Things that were acceptable back then just aren’t anymore. Times change. I don’t think any of the questionable content on there was meant to be questionable at the time it was made. I doubt the people who made it were even thinking about it.

Oh you already mentioned it. “Song of the South” is what I was thinking of.

No … its about what Disney did and why they did it. I’m talking about the why.

And again … no it’s not, its about what Disney did.

Distinction without a difference

1 Like

They did it because money. Free market at work. Again.

Nonsense. They did it because they were pressured by the Wokes.

1 Like

You have no standing to tell me what my posts are about.

They did it because they are a large entertainment corporation that is run by faceless spreadsheets that want the output to be greater than the input.

So they want the revenue from airing beloved content, but want to hedge it by acknowledging that some of the content didn’t necessarily age well.

Who knew that culture war reactionaries would react?

Well literally everyone… but we all think that the reaction is quite silly.

If they were pressured by the woke then they would throw it in the vault at the bottom of the ocean with Song of the South.

1 Like

If by “wokes” you mean their audience, then yes. That’s what I said.

Well I can definitely read the posts.

“We are talking about a show that was done in the 70s.”

Grew up on it. Most of the characters were animals. Which race did they target?

The only thing Disney cares about is their stock price.

1 Like

It isn’t about the muppets for the most part.

It is about some performances by the human guests and depictions of cultures or symbols depicted that may have aged out of the low standards of the 70’s.

It’s an old fashioned content warning.

Viewer discretion be advised.

Considering the first season opens up with a guest star putting the beat down on one of the muppets in a bar and another simulating downing several alcoholic beverages on a subsequent episode, I think the show evolved a bit before it became a “kids” show.

I’d rather see a company that has no problem thanking the Chinese Communist Party, which actively persecutes people of faith, shut up about others.

Muppets? Really?

Elmo was annoying, but racist?

1 Like

Which was really ironic considering there are very, very few southern whites who don’t have a black or biracial ancestor.

Elmo isn’t Disney… but anyway.

The criticism of the end credits of Mulan is well warranted.

That is a separate issue than providing a content warning.