MLK Book banning due to CRT

Why?

When teaching about the US civil war, do educators need to teach about all the civil wars throughout human history? Should educators teach about all the revolutions in human history or just the US revolution when teaching American history?

2 Likes

That sounds like a good college course.

Then just stick your thermometer for that up the butt of right now and tell me again about “no one wants white kids to feel guilty”.

1 Like

Loudon County is the example in the national spotlight…does their school board and Superintendent have extreme views? How about the parents? This one scenario best represents the subject being discussed for all sides on a national level.

Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben :heart: this thread.

2 Likes

What?

Are Loudon schools teaching white people are bad and they should feel guilty?

Apples and oranges. Slavery as you well know was by no means a practice unique to America, and by no means did it originate in America. The American Civil War on the other hand is clearly unique to America is it not?

Likely a number of courses. Personally I believe the best way to understand a subject like slavery is within a historical context.

But we are talking about American history. Teaching the ins and outs of various slave and indentured servant systems throughout history isn’t going to give better context on how slavery operated in the US, or give better context to our history.

I really don’t get the need to avoid the dark shadows of the American experience. Visiting those darker chapters helps us to understand and avoid the worst aspects of our past and try to do better.

Germans strongly focus on museums and education around the Holocaust to help them never repeat those horrific times.

2 Likes

I would be all for including all of the writings of the people at the time, Including Thomas Jefferson, who wrote extensively about the immoral nature of slavery and how they did nothing for decades to stop it.

That is an interesting historical question to mull over imo.

2 Likes

No they don’t.

1 Like

What are you hoping to achieve by teaching about slavery in the US in detail?

You feel it will deter something?

1 Like

No to museums, or Holocaust teaching?

I mean the Germans have a book as required reading based on a social experiment done in the US, to teach how easy it is to fall for fascism.

If they have an obscure and accidental American social experiment as required reading, it’s hard to believe they don’t teach the Holocaust well.

He was a hypocrite.

1 Like
1 Like

While I am adamantly opposed to banning books and reluctantly aware of age appropriateness, I find it amusing that progs would complain.

There is a quote by a historian, I want to say her name was Judith something, to the effect of “Judge history by the clothes it was wearing…”

I wish I could find it.

The slavery, while a horrible abomination, was the catalyst, not the lingering part of that whole period.

It’s not even that interesting.