MLK Book banning due to CRT

I just want history taught properly. I detest whitewashing and sanitization of history, it leads to incomplete understanding, as well as misunderstandings of what things were actually like.

Do I feel it will deter something? There is that old adage about history and repeating. But besides that, a better understanding of the past, leads to a better understanding of our present.

Yes- they do.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/germans/germans/education.html

There are time limitations.

How is teaching the details of US slavery going to stop the repeating? It already hasn’t. There is slavery going on right now. Of course it’s not sanctioned by the state as it was then, but it exists.

Slavery itself has very little to do with our present. The slavery was a simple, straightforward proposition. What came after, the responses, has far more to do with our present.

2 Likes

No, they don’t.

What is “properly”? Who decides?

1 Like

“Teaching the subject of the Holocaust and the Nazi era is mandatory in German schools and in addition to the classroom curriculum, almost all students have either visited a concentration camp or a Holocaust memorial or museum.”

40% don’t know.

Interesting. I’d be curious to see how asked the questions, and whether it’s just an Auschwitz thing.

The one thing I do know about German education, is that WW2 and the Holocaust are covered through multiple years as well as trips to museums and concentration camps.

Hard to teach abolitionists without going into slavery itself.

Properly means that a student comes out of the lessons learning a subject without misunderstandings or with incomplete views as to what happened. Well rounded knowledge, ideally. Terrible students exist.

Who decides? Who decides anything? People in charge of the curriculum.

The issue of slavery was the most important political subject from 1810 to 1860.

It is hard to understand that period of US history without understanding the role of slavery.

2 Likes

Exactly how high on the concerns and problems facing America is the reinstitution of slavery? How about teaching that burning people’s businesses down is wrong? How about teaching that stealing is wrong? Or how about teaching that getting married before having children is the best approach to become a parent?

1 Like

I just don’t understand how this works. Would you like to have US history taught without mentioning slavery, Jim Crow, and the Civil Rights movement?

Replace that all with lectures about parenting and the problems with stealing and arson?

Yeah no, I don’t think the firehosings and lynchings are second grade material.

“ The 11-page notice alleged that a literary curriculum, Wit and Wisdom, in use by Williamson county schools and at least 30 other districts, presented a “heavily biased agenda” that caused children to “hate their country, each other and/or themselves”.

The group took issue with several books adapted for younger readers on topics including King’s leadership of the civil rights movement of the 1960s, the integration of schools in California by the activist Sylvia Mendez and the autobiography of Ruby Bridges, the first Black child to desegregate an all-white primary school in Louisiana.

Scary stuff this critical race theory.

1 Like

Who is showing lynchings to second graders?

The books used are age appropriate, and have been used in classrooms for 20 years now.

Is there evidence of this happening, or even suggested to be taught in grade school on any kind of consistent or regular basis?

How about teach this…High School and above.

2 Likes

Except the purpose of CRT is to vilify white people and confuse it with today’s allegations of racism an privilege. American slavery has a context from antiquity and around the world, not just something evil white Americans (like that kid over there) came up with. Of course CRT junkies aren’t going to want to dilute the victim hood.

2 Likes

Well…that is part of the problem…

There is so much more that you and I were not taught (I am a few years older than you) besides segregation. I have been doing a lot of reading about the race issues we have been dealing with since our inception…and that is part of the problem…we have never, really, truly dealt with it.

The CRA and VRA and ending Jim Crow were great things to happen, and a lot of progress has been made since that time…but there is so much more that needs to be done.

And the 1st thing we need to do, is truly, fully understand what we, as a country did…and in many ways, still do. Until we do that, it is just a huge bloody band aid…that will never really heal.

3 Likes