MLK Book banning due to CRT

Shakespeare is usually taught poorly… so better to leave it to college level IMO.

The United States didn’t drop the a bomb on Hiroshima in 1945

They dropped leaflets only.

Allan

An extreme minority of teachers and a Twitter hashtag.

This is just the right doing what they accuse of the left. Finding extreme views, held by a small group of people and applying it to the whole.

1 Like

In that article you have a teacher taking about teaching the play “Coriolanus”.

That is not a High School level Shakespeare play.

No one reads that play. It’s really boring.

That is why I find that article funny.

Maybe. So did the posts about “they just don’t want to teach black history.”

1 Like

Show me one history book in a school that covers WWII that doesn’t mention using the atomic bomb.

2 Likes

I’ve never read it. But that is a weird choice for High school.

Shakespeare teaches itself. All you have to do is read Hamlet or MacBeth, and maybe show a couple of the movies. It is impossible to “teach” that badly.

It is so easy to teach badly.

Romeo and Juliet is probably the most misunderstood play in history because of poor understanding from High School.

I went to a school of Arts for theater for high school…. And the instruction I got in Shakespeare there was light years away from my “normal” high school.

I am behind that if we want children to appreciate arts… first introduce them to the arts that they can relate most closely with and then go back to the foundational canon.

3 Likes

In Japan?

Allan

I had no problem relating to Macbeth, Hamlet, Othello. Sorry you did.

1 Like

Anywhere.

I’ve never thought of it that way. But that’s a really smart way to go about teaching literature.

I’ve always thought that having a decent understanding of foundational canon would go a long way to better appreciating media and art in general.

Starting with relatable media first, and then going back and explaining references, and timeless themes is a great way to teaching “boring” subjects like Shakespeare.

1 Like

Oh… I had zero problem with it.

Othello is one of my favorite plays… even with the racist soliloquy that everyone cuts out because there is no need for it.

There are more accessible and exciting plays than Shakespeare.

I would go with August Wilson over Shakespeare any day.

Contemporary art is the most relatable art because it is an expression of the now.

It may be ephemeral and will not last… but an appreciation of it allows for one to go back and see the artistic conversation happen in reverse.

It is easy to teach artistically where we are right now… going back then to the various movements and reactions then makes it more relatable to what we see today.

That is just my opinion though.

1 Like

Also if you want to teach German Opera… play a bunch of Looney Tunes.

3 Likes

or Apocalypse Now

1 Like

So much more accessible than “Heart of Darkness”

Man is that some dense prose.

I owe my love for classical music and jazz to Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry.

2 Likes

How about an extensive course on the history of slavery throughout human history? Along with touching on the connecting subjects of philosophy, psycology, sociology, economics and their influences on the practice of slavery?

1 Like