Min Wage Hikes Hurting Business

I think that is becoming a legitimate concern, not just for low skilled workers either. Outsourcing and automation are a threat to LOTS of jobs. The big wins for capitalists are when they can automate or outsource the expensive workers.

Please let’s…

Suppose artificial intelligence gets so advanced that you can simply tell your computer, in plain English, what tasks you want it to do and it figures out, on its own, how to write the code. All of a sudden, all of those $125,000/year coders in Seattle are obsolete.

Yeah, I modified that sentence multiple times. A lot of jobs are going to be lost. Things are going to have to change radically soon if certain technological advances are actualized.

Nothing is going to change and we’re going see what comes next. Fun times for everyone.

1 Like

You have no idea what his business conditions were like when this wage hike hit him.

Other articles suggest yelp is very misleading.

Pay attention to everything and everyone except the business owner. That helps your narrative!

Great!

Yes I don’t believe in a minimum wage.

Change my mind

They think they deserve more money (beyond the market rate) for what they do.

they will just think that robots are unfair too.

No not profound. a thinking man doesn’t care about “profound” a thinking man employs common sense, like any other mere thinking man.

Or woman.

Common sense is overrated and often incorrect.

And in this case, irrelevant (and condescending).

1 Like

exactly.

No one holds a gun to the head of the employee, making them work there.

The type of economic thinking that you are employing is called “Utopian Economics”

It is called that because it ignores reality in favor of a philosophical end point.

You sarcastically retort “so profound” then bitch about “condescension?”

It is simple truth. Life is not fair, or easy. Low paying low skill jobs are not supposed to be compensated beyond their worth.

Jobs are worth what the labor is able to charge for their time.

No more… no less.

Utopian Economics?

nonsense. It’s called “the market”

not surprised if you weren’t taught that in schools. My kid is already being taught that all wages should be equal. I don’t know where to begin with such astounding nonsense, but enough about idiots like AOC.

Without a minimum wage there would likely be a greater push for labor unions… so it wouldn’t be all bad I guess.

Labor doesn’t charge anything.

However labor is worth something, and that is determined by the market. Like the worth of all things.

Well, it should be.

Labor unions have a place when they can leverage better skills, and worker values.

Otherwise they are not much more than organized extortion. But let’s save that for another educational thread.

Utopian economics ignores a lot of reality in the “market”

It is the Austrian/Chicago/George Mason philosophical push that treats people as widgets that can be replaced in a market instead of humans.

To be fair… the Neoliberals follow that same path.

But at it’s core, Utopian economics assumes an end point and works backwards relying on magic and faith instead of history and data.

Like manufacturing?

Labor unions are for anyone who sells their labor to food on their plate

There is no shame in selling one’s labor, no matter if it is low skilled or high skilled… it is still labor.

And no… it isn’t extortion.

It is the market.