Mexico imposes new tarrifs on american goods

in responce to trumps new tarrifs on mexican canadian and european steel mexico announced retaliatory tarriffs of their own on flat steels (hot and cold foil, including coated and various tubes), lamps, legs and shoulders of pork, sausages and food preparations, apples, grapes, blueberries, various cheeses

its expected that europe will impose equivalent tarrifs on thinks like harley davidsons

the net result is trump just imposed a tax hike on americans while at the same time hurting american workers…

1 Like

Mexico lol bring it!

2 Likes

Forgotten men and women farmers across the heartland thank you for your patriotism, as they are the ones who will suffer from this trade war. I’m sure the good, hard working members of my farming community town will appreciate your laughing at their pain. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

The wall just got ten feet higher! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Who’s paying for this wall?

1 Like

Your compassion for U.S. businesses and their workers who are destroyed by countries like Mexico is noted. Here have an eyeroll.

2 Likes

I have plenty of compassion for these people as well. But hurting them, and others even more, is hardly a sign of additional compassion. There are significant issues that need to be addressed, however, blanket tariffs do not seem to be the wisest solution, if the goal is to protect American workers and farmers and businesses. Sure, this may save 2,000 jobs in the steel or aluminum industries, while costing 120,000 jobs across other sectors of business. Is that a win in your eyes?

1 Like

I’m guessing that it will be you and me. I don’t particularly care. Mexico may pay in some indirect way, but I NEVER believed that we would actually receive a check from Meh-he co. But I never really cared either. I just want a wall.

2 Likes

You’re not getting one, you know that right?

1 Like

You do understand that crops are a commodity don’t you?

1 Like

I do. And I understand how taxation hurts both the end consumer and the business sector the tax is directed at and impacts either directly or indirectly.

1 Like

So do I. But sometimes you have to use leverage towards your advantage…specially when they’re stealing your technology or undermining your economy as in case of China.

I believe lot of his spat is about backdoor of China steel going through other nations to American market.

I’ve just got back from a trip so I haven’t gotten up to speed yet, but that is impression that I’m getting.

3 Likes

I agree that the issue with China is important and needs to be addressed ASAP. But, from what I am reading, this will actually damage our ability to make end-roads on this front, as the EU especially tends to side with us on wanting to reign in China’s technology theft and acquisition practices. So, how does penalizing an ally help to bring them to want to side with us on this, or other issues?

Also, this is going to greatly slow down the negotiations with NAFTA, which are also important and need to be addressed. This seems to me to be short sighted, with several potential problems arising. Most of which will see pain at the door of American consumers and farmers, along with a host of other business sectors.

Time will tell obviously, but if this spirals into a tit-for-tat trade war, with retaliations flying across the globe, we could be in for some tough economic times ahead.

2 Likes

Personally I have no problem with European steel, they are whether I agree with em are Representative governments, and thus they meet the demands of their people.

China on other hand aren’t. But the problem I’m seeing is China steel going through a third party countries that damaging both United States and EC nations.

Speaking of European steel. Blades/chisels etc for England are top notch…and Italian saw blades are the best in the world. And yes you have to pay for it but well worth it.

2 Likes

Which is why Trump is bailing out ZTE, right?

1 Like

Is he? Or are their restrictions in that bailout?

Like stop stealing our tech?

1 Like

There are already laws about stealing tech on the books - laws which ZTE ignored.

1 Like

Then they need to be punished…which they are. :wink:

1 Like

You would think the dems would love it for raising taxes.

1 Like

Since you are a Trump supporter, what is your position here?

1 Like