Medicare-For-All is now polling at 70% for all Americans, 52% for Republicans

@calirepub
@zantax

Good discussion. I enjoyed it.

1 Like

And 2.2 million fall into the gap because 17 Republican controlled states refuse to expand Medicaid.

Oh goodness, that is percent of the federal budget spent on healthcare, not percent of total health care expenditures paid for by government funding versus private sector.

from Healthcare in the United States - Wikipedia

In 2013, 64% of health spending was paid for by the government,[5][6] and funded via programs such as Medicare, Medicaid, the Children’s Health Insurance Program, and the Veterans Health Administration.

Paltry?

Most large corps do quite well with a net profit at 5%-10%

Apple is the outlier at about 20%.

UHC was about 6% net profit, after paying its CEO well over 18 million in annual compensation.

Ok. I misunderstood your question. But, imo, it doesn’t matter that it’s 64%. Canada covers everyone for only 6% more. Who is getting a bigger bang for their buck?

i am told by cons that when corps have to endure/recover additional costs, like taxes, they just simply pass those costs on to the consumer.

Are you suggesting they do not do that to cover their insurance benefits?

You don’t seriously think the CEO’s salary had any significant impact on their profit margin do you? Oh and the average profit margin for S&P 500 is 11% so I am going to stick with 6% being on the low side.

No, I am suggesting if you save them that money, it will go into the shareholders pockets, not to employees.

The current relief for student loans for public service is 10 years. During that 10 years you still have to make student loan debt payments, at 10 years it is the balance that is forgiven.

My daughter is currently in such a program as her Air Force service will help forgive her law school debt.

.>>>>

You can’t draw any such conclusion based on those two statistics.

On a break? That’s a bit harsh.

Playing on a phone during work hours is forbidden but if someone is on a break I really can’t say anything to them.

Medicare Overhead is about 2%.
Private Health Insurance overhead, close to 20%.

Of course I can. They cover everyone. We don’t. Government spending on health insurance/ care is only spent on 37.3 percent of our population.

• In 2016, private health insur­ance coverage continued to be more prevalent than govern­ment coverage, at 67.5 percent and 37.3 percent, respectively. Of the subtypes of health insur­ance coverage, employer-based insurance covered 55.7 percent of the population for some or all of the calendar year, followed by Medicaid (19.4 percent), Medicare (16.7 percent), direct-purchase (16.2 percent), and military cover­age (4.6 percent).

Indeed.
UHC making a paltry 8-10 billion dollars in annual profit dollars is not acceptable.

How do they ever manage sustain that business model?

Depends on the tax rates.

Of course, that is the point. Take the profit motive out of the processing of healthcare.

Badass.

10 Char

Well, someone doesn’t understand the importance of asserting their authority when Jim goes on break.

Most mid to upper level corporate America jobs have five sick days a year already. To do that for everybody would be expensive though, I won’t argue that.

What happened to the deficit under Obama? And Clinton?

How about trump and bush?

How’s it working?