Measured CO2 levels under face masks exceed OSHA standards

That’s not how physics and physiology work.

i appreciate your opinion

but i still believe fauci

Let me try to explain this.

Take a can of spray paint, and put a mask over the nozzle, and press it.

Then take another mask, place it 4 feet away from the can, and spray paint towards the mask.

Does that help you understand?

not a valid comparison

people dont force aerosols like that

yes it blocks some. masks may be a little effective at close range

TM, there are a couple of of physics based CFD models out there showing range of spread with and without masks.

I’ve ask seen plenty of experimental results on efficacy of masks showing distance of particle travel with and without masks.

It’s pretty conclusive.

it’s actually not conclusive, at best. studies show masks didnt do anything to slow spread, reduce cases or deaths

Your opinion is noted but is not congruent with physics.

i disagree. no physics conclusively demonstrates they help in these matters.

Better conducted study.

This cohort study among infants and young children in Italy found that the use of facial masks was not associated with significant changes in Sao2 or Petco2, including among children aged 24 months and younger.

You could even workout with surgical and/or N95 masks on.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/sms.13832

In conclusion, in healthy subjects, short-term moderate-strenuous aerobic physical activity with a mask is feasible, safe, and associated with only minor changes in physiological parameters, particularly a mild increase in EtCO2 .

If you have COPD don’t exercise with an N95 mask on. For everyone else they’re just fine.

1 Like

Do they suffer from CO2 poisoning?

People here really should stop posting about subjects about which they know absolutely nothing.

“Doing research” is not using Google to find stuff that one agrees with.

We are Dunning Krugering this nation to death.

funny i think the same thing when i see posts supporting climate change

1 Like

I do too…but for vastly different reasons…

You can debate the effect of human activities on rate of climate change but denying that climate change is happening is like denying the seasons :rofl::rofl:

climate change is happening. yes. always is

It’s ok. Lots of people don’t understand physics.

1 Like

Die of anything and everything JUST NOT COVID!

yes so true

I agree that wearing a mask for a 30 minutes is not a significant risk of lack of oxygen; the study was limited to that time period. On the other hand, the study provides no information on the long-term effects of wearing a mask.

Schoolchildren and many workers are required to wear masks continuously for their entire day. OSHA has set the 5000 ppm limit for industrial workers to assure that they do not suffer work-related injury based on continuous exposures throughout the workday. It includes a factor of safety to take into account variations between persons.

[1988 OSHA PEL Project - Carbon Dioxide | NIOSH | CDC]
[Carbon Dioxide (usda.gov)]

In addition, carbon dioxide is not the only chemical to consider. Typical ventilation rates in building are designed to keep carbon dioxide levels around 1000 ppm or lower because building materials and humans emit other chemicals that can affect human health and comfort. The carbon dioxide acts as a measure to indicate good air quality even though it is usually not the limiting chemical itself.

Many of chemicals are emitted by way of exhaled human breath. Wearing a mask increases the amount of the chemicals inhaled from the exhaled air trapped behind the mask. The surface of the mask can also retain chemicals from the exhaled air and return them to the lungs.

Human breath emissions of VOCs - PubMed (nih.gov)

In addition, the mask itself can be a source of chemicals left from cleaning or by microbes growing in the moist conditions found on the mask.
What’s that growing on your face mask? (medicalxpress.com)

1 Like

I wear a mask for hours each day. I’ve been doing so for decades. I did so before the pandemic. People have been wearing masks for much longer than that. It has been studied time and time again. Over a half century of data. A simple surgical mask has zero physiologic impact. N95 masks under all but the most strenuous of situations or on those with severe underlying respiratory disease have no physiologic impact.

It’s interesting that people have been wearing masks long before the pandemic but now there are a slew of armchair biophysicists who want to find a problem. Decades and decades to raise concern for all those healthcare workers and immunocompromised who are required to wear masks and not a peep. Any excuse not to wear a mask, I get it.

1 Like

one of the absolute stupidest things any idiotic human being has ever decided is that kids wear these useless to begin with masks

absolute stupidest