Meanwhile Gov. Kay Ivey of Alabama signed

criminalizing gender-affirming care for minors.

So I ask forum libs. Is this a good bill?

3 Likes

How about you give your cue cards that let you know when it’s ok for the government to take medical decisions for children out of the hands of parents and when it’s not OK for them to do that?

That would be helpful if you laid out your metrics for this question.

2 Likes

Is that what YOU think this is…medical decision?

2 Likes

Honestly if I had a child who was transgendered and they were absolutely sure they wanted to take puberty blockers, I’d move out of the state to somewhere more welcoming.

2 Likes

In what way isn’t it a medical decision?

Small government conservatives using the power of the State to deny care.

Sounds about right.

(b) Subsection (a) does not apply to a procedure undertaken to treat a minor born with a medically verifiable disorder of sex development, including either of the following:
An individual born with external biological sex characteristics that are irresolvably ambiguous, including an individual born with 46 XX chromosomes with virilization, 46 XY chromosomes with under virilization, or having both ovarian and testicular tissue.

An individual whom a physician has otherwise diagnosed with a disorder of sexual development, in which the physician has determined through genetic or biochemical testing that the person does not have normal sex chromosome structure, sex steroid hormone production, or sex steroid hormone action for a male or female.

The Actual Bill

That’s nice. Government won’t interfere in some cases.

In what way is this still not government interference with a parent’s rights to make medical decisions with and for their children?

I didn’t say it wasn’t. Just getting out in front of the hysteria story time

They will recognize physical transsexual issues but not mental ones.

Because the brain you know… no issues there ever.

It seems to protect those that need it while denying others to just willy-nilly mutilate children at their own cosmetic whim.

Sounds great. :person_shrugging:

5 Likes

You mean like circumcision?

4 Likes

A physical “solution” for a mental problem?

1 Like

What if the parent decides the child will be less likely to get run over by a car if they gphave the feet removed?
Calling a mutilation a “medical treatment” doesn’t change what it is.
The states often intervene in cases of child abuse.

My best friend in the world is trans, but has never transitioned. She’s almost 70 and options weren’t available in her time. She’s usually called ‘sir” by most people who don’t know her, she’s that masculine. She’s lived her life as a gay woman and has talked about her childhood. She says she never remembered a time when she didn’t think she was a boy, even in her earliest memories.

A few years ago we were reading about Diethylstilbestrol (DES), a drug that was given to pregnant women. My friend’s mother had taken it and unlike thalidomide, which produced visible disabilities to the babies born, It was decades before the effects of the drug were noticed. I believe the DES/transgender link is still so far anecdotal, but there are many researching this issue. Who’s to say that the highly processed and chemical ladened food we feed our kids today isn’t doing something like DES? Or the plastic found in human blood. Or the bottled water that is so loosely regulated and inspected.

Instead of demonizing these kids and their parents, more research is needed, taking out the “icky gay” and “icky trans” preconceptions. Good lord, this is 2022, you’d think by now we’d know better, but we’re going backwards.

2 Likes

Seems to me that there are going to be some folks who routinely say, “The Government should stay out of our personal lives” will be cheering this. I wonder how long before this is in the courts?

4 Likes

Not the state’s call to call it child abuse unless they have evidence it is so.

Objective evidence not fee fees.

2 Likes

Manic depressives take lithium.
There are drugs for mental depression and they work.
Many natural foods and supplements do the same thing.

Your division into “mental” and “physical” is an illusion…a myth.

Tell it to @Jezcoe

Removing body parts is objective as it gets. When that is done, someone needs to be able to explain exactly why.
And not “fee fees”.