McConnell Tells Caucus They Lack the Votes to Block Impeachment Witnesses

It makes me laugh that Obama is still on your mind. Perhaps Trump isn’t the diety that he’s made out to be.

This is the funny part- the GOP is finally going with the Mulvaney Defense- “Yeah he did it- get over it!” after spending countless months pretending that Trump did nothing.

“A growing number of GOP senators are now acknowledging that President Donald Trump may have leveraged US military aid to Ukraine in exchange for an announcement of investigations that could help him politically – but they contend that even that conduct does not warrant removal from office or hearing from additional witnesses.”

2 Likes

Ooh desperation setting in. Interesting.

1 Like

The Republicans should accept the witnesses and NOT insist on any countering witnesses of any sort. They should stop this foolish vindication exercise and instead just “own it” like they should have done in the first place.

All the effort to try to vindicate or downplay just makes it look worse than if they just had owned it in the first place.

And insisting on countering witnesses just looks petty.

Just own it and then vote not guilty based on peccadilloes, as I have recommended all along.

3 Likes

I am genuinely curious why you don’t think this is a big deal.

If Susan Collins thinks she will be rewarded by libs if she alienated Trump base?

How about Cory Gardner…does he think libs are going to reward him if he alienated Trump base?

I’m going to agree not just because demanding reciprocal witnesses is silly…but because its actually bad strategy for the republicans. Adding more “republican” witnesses simply prolongs this and actually makes Trump look worse.

You are correct. Biden and Hunter aren’t going to get in front of those Senators and confess. They are going to act like victims. If there is any evidence against them, it is most likely in Ukraine.

What is wrong with witnesses? What is to hide?

I think they should call all kinds of crazy witnesses. I think that would be hilarious.

2 Likes

Own what?

What do they own? Oh you think they (republicans) owe libs something?

Just trying to help your team out. Pushing for these folks as witnesses may sound good…but it would almost assuredly backfire.

The political junkie in me agrees entirely.

Maine has rank choice voting.

Collins has to get more than a happy base.

Actually, I think it IS a big deal.

But I believe that removal of a President from office, the overturning of an election, should require an act of the utmost seriousness, with serious consequences.

I do believe this incident to be serious. I don’t think it rises to that extraordinary level that justifies the removal of a President from office and the overturning of an election.

My standard would be significantly lower if this was a Cabinet Officer or a federal judge.

But the President is elected and we should not lightly remove him from office.

1 Like

I would be very amused to watch them disgrace themselves, and see that they know they are doing it behind their eyes.

1 Like

So what would be your standard of a big enough big deal?

1.8 billion in foreignaid missing from Hunter Bidens bosses bank and you think Trump did something wrong how so?

I disagree but I think this is a fair appraisal. And I think it would have been waaaay smarter if they had followed this tactic from the beginning. But instead we’ve had months of stonewalling, coverups and gas lighting that actually make me more convinced he should be booted.

Nope.