Mattis: Trump's troop pullout will lead to 'disarray' in Syria and Isis resurgence

What about the the actual situation on the ground and the fact Trump couldn’t seen to care less about the plight of the Kurds makes you think you are remotely right?

We had a situation in place in which our allies were not being butchered and driven from their homes. They had won back land from ISIS at the cost of thousands of lives. And our way of rewarding them was feeding them to Turkey and destabilizing the region once again so that ISIS flags are now popping up around the countryside.

Bravo.

Okay, so this troop argument is just a distraction. In various ways, Trump is allowing the Kurds to be killed and displaced. We know he’s not doing it to save the lives of US soldiers. So I wonder what the United States gains by allowing this to happen?

Again, not defending his inaction or failure to communicate there would be consequences and following up on it. Just saying neither of those things require using troops as sacrificial goats.

Idol worship followed by undying allegiance. Principles and rational thinking are the first things to fo.

2 Likes

Technically hypocritical

3 Likes

Much like he was pretending to no longer be a Trump supporter a few months ago. Consistency doesn’t seem to be his strong suit. Well, other than consistency trying to explain the technical legality of absolutely reprehensible behavior. That is the one thing we can really count on.

1 Like

Keep in mind he has also maintained Turkey is not a US ally and needs a good ass kicking.

As if there were any principles in the first place…

That’s what defending Trump will do

1 Like

…not even technically correct…wow

I spent two years there. You have no clue about what you are talking about again.

Not defending Trump here, defending troops. I have no problem with criticism of his allowing this to happen, just pointing out moving those fifty troops aren’t really the proximate cause.

So why in the ■■■■■■■ world would you abandon the one group that has been a consistent, loyal ally for years in order to appease a nation not seen as an ally? Explain how that is in any way logical or helpful to America building long term alliances around the globe.

I grew up with four different guys, including one of my closest friends, that ended up in the DMZ at various points in time and they all said that.

Yeah I remember that too

no the kurd were keeping ISIS in check but now they are busy fighting the Turk and the prison defense have been abandon.

What did the United States gain by moving troops out of the area and allowing Turkey’s attacks on the Kurds?

While I might not agree with the President allowing the Kurds to get slaughtered by Turkey, nor am I thrilled about hundreds of ISIS fighters being freed from the jails the Kurds were guarding for us, however I don’t have to agree with everything Donald Trump does in order to support him. Hillary would have been even worse for the United States. No matter who the Democrats choose as their candidate I just know they’re going to be even worse than Hillary. The choice in 2020 is clear. Four more years!

1 Like

I don’t recall abandoning them. Trump should have communicated there would be grave consequences if they acted in this fashion and followed up on it. He deserves condemnation for it. Unless he quickly gets his butt in gear and puts an end to it.

You most certainly are. But that’s completely expected by now