Mattis: Trump's troop pullout will lead to 'disarray' in Syria and Isis resurgence

We all agree he’s a weak cowardly president. He rolled aside to the wishes of Turkey, causing the abandonment and death of an ally, the release of ISIS prisoners, hundreds of thousands of displaced people, and the further destabilizing of a region. No consequences thus far. His lack of principle and strength is not being questioned.

Then why do we have soldiers anywhere in the world? Just tell North Korea, Iran, et al, that there will be consequences for bad behavior and bring our troops home. We’ll save a bunch of money and our deployed soldiers will no longer be “human shields,” as you put it.

2 Likes

Just to be clear, you believe there should be no foreign deployment of US troops if in numbers less than that needed for a full scale military conflict?

There you go, I knew you could do it. Like I said, feel free to criticize his allowing to happen, just don’t pretend moving the troops were the cause of it happening. If he wanted to he was perfectly capable of communicating to Turkey that attacking the Kurds would have dire consequences and carrying them out without leaving the troops there. Criticize him for that all you like.

This really the best you got? They were holding like ten thousand ISIL prisoners who are getting free and joining the Turkish proxy forces to fight the Kurds.

1 Like

Yeah who could have predicted that moving those troops would lead to a Turkish offensive except ■■■■■■■ everyone but Trump supporters like you.

3 Likes

I can prove that Turkey did not attack while US soldiers were in place. I can prove that Turkey attacked once US soldiers were removed.

Now it’s your turn. Prove that Turkey would have attacked with US soldiers in place. Let’s at least see proof there are “dire consequences” since attacks have been ongoing for the last 5 days.

Oh you mean the call he had with Erdogan, where he agreed to this? Or the tweet with his big threat that he never followed up on?

There should be no deployment of troops for the purpose of acting as human shields, period. It is both a callous disregard of their lives and unnecessary. If we don’t want North Korea to invade South Korea we can tell them so along with what the consequences will be if they do without putting a single US soldier in the way to act as a human shield.

The entire premise is morally bankrupt. Using troops to motivate members of a democracy to go to war in our national interest is despicable on many levels. If the US public won’t support going to war to retaliate against North Korea invasion of South Korea unless they kill fifty thousand of our troops when they do, so be it. I won’t sign on to use them as PR tools.

I see. So if 50 troops used as a shield could prevent the loss of hundreds or thousands of lives, the reemergence of ISIS, and hundreds of thousands of displaced people, that’s a “callous disregard for lives and unnecessary.” Interesting.

Nobody is forcing you to be this willfully obtuse.

1 Like

Yes, the smart thing would be to wait until the North Koreans are occupying Seoul after one of the most devastating artillery barrages in history, which would take about two days. That’s what any intelligent person would do.

Yes, it is, because it’s totally unnecessary. There is not one thing stopping us from protecting the Kurds or communicating to Turkey that we would do so without using them in such a manner.

Fulda gap Wasn’t a thing …non sireee

Our, now former I guess, allies who are being displaced in numbers already ranging over 100,000 and being killed/beheaded might question your assertion that the 50 troops in place were unnecessary.

But, who cares right? Your boy got 18 holes in yesterday and some liberals were annoyed, so it’s all a win.

Well it’s a little different there given the number of troops and tanks etc. At least they would be a significant speed bump, unlike say, fifty troops.

Again, those fifty troops were not at all necessary and there is nothing stopping us from protecting the Kurds without sacrificing their lives or using them as human shields.

Fine. You’d rather be reactionary than preventative. Ignoring troops as a deterrent, why are we not protecting the Kurds? Why has Turkey suffered no consequences? You said there is nothing stopping us from protecting the Kurds. Doesn’t seem very effective. Seems like we just left and let Turkey do whatever they want.

No, they wouldn’t. Ask anyone who served in the DMZ. They are there to absorb the artillery barrage that would signal the start of the war and kill the vast majority of them.

1 Like

Keep in mind this poster was an enthusiastic supporter of preemptive war and extended occupation one country to the east for like a decade plus.

Wonder what changed.

5 Likes