Mass incarceration through the years

how much has the population in general grown each year relative to the population of criminals has grown?

what percentage of the overall population is incarcerated yearly?

lies, damn lies and statistics

1 Like

How much has the population gone up and have we so completely failed as a society in raising good citizens that we have increased the criminal population?

I agree, incarceration doesn’t seem to be much of a deterrent. Maybe we have locked so many people up there is no longer a stigma associated with it.

The general population has not increased 450% since 1980, not even remotely close

Higher than it was in 2016 which is higher than it was in 2008. Which is higher than it was in 2000…

more incarcerations because there are more criminals in the population…

more laws and regulations only make more possibilities to violate them…

violating laws and regulations is criminal…

22 has been caught

I’m assuming your referring to me. Here is one article that basically sums up the theory. There have been many studies about this and they all find the same results. Including in other countries that phased out leaded gasoline at a different time than we did, crime dropped about 16-25 years later. They also show how crime skyrocketed in the 60’s and 70’s which is about 16-25 years after leaded gasoline began widespread use in the United States - in other words children were poisoned with it which led to them committing more crime when they reached adulthood.

The lead-crime hypothesis is pretty simple: lead poisoning degrades the development of childhood brains in ways that increase aggression, reduce impulse control, and impair the executive functions that allow people to understand the consequences of their actions. Because of this, infants who are exposed to high levels of lead are more likely to commit violent crimes later in life. There are three types of research that confirm the connection between lead and crime:

That’s it in a nutshell.

Amazing(disgusting) that some seem to be taking the side of criminals.

can you point to a post taking the side of criminals. Thanks!

If we locked up 10 million, there would be even lower rates of crime!

2 Likes

There is something (well a lot) to be said about a proper upbringing. However. society as a whole cannot be fully fixed.

True and there is not just one society. The lines between them seem to be increasing.

Just to follow up, here’s a link about lead and the level of violence in Baltimore.
https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/bal-te.lead09may09-story.html

1 Like

I did in fact screw up the reply to button press. Thank you for the additional info and feedback, I will take a look into it.

If we locked up everyone we could get rid of crime altogether

1 Like

stalin_png_1301755

I am taking the side that less things should be crimes in general. There are better suited ways to incentivize good behavior than using a bigger stick.

You do realize practically everybody in my generation grew up with lead paint right?

I am still exposed to it frequently.

I do realize that. Do you use a deleading soap at the range?
Also, there’s a clear connection between lead exposure in childhood and behavioral problems.

I’m not on a range, but no. Lead is still used in industrial applications.

There is thought to be behavioral problems and violent crime are not synonyms.

No one is saying that lead exposure automatically makes you a criminal. Nor that it makes you a blabbering idiot though there is a good probability you may have lost a few IQ points off your potential if you suffered severe exposure as a child - if you would normally have had a 120 IQ and now you only have a 110 your still a highly functional adult with above average intelligence. And other things factor into how aggressive you are and how your impulse control is. It is however a major factor.

But the studies are pretty undeniable. Lead in gasoline really boomed in the 40’s and 50’s as cars finally became a must have for everyone and leaded gas air pollution in the exhaust of cars was everywhere. There was then a crime spike in the 60’s and 70’s as the children who were exposed to it their whole lives grew up. Lead was phased out in the 70’s and there was a crime decline in the 90’s as the children who grew up without the lead exposure grew up. Other countries that phased out lead later in gasoline saw similar drops roughly 18 years after. Leaded paint is whole different issue as even though its not made anymore many old houses still have it.