Marine Commandant orders Confederate related paraphernalia removed from all Marine installations

“The highest-ranking officer in the US Marine Corps has ordered Confederate-related paraphernalia to be removed from all Marine installations.The order from Commandant Gen. David Berger was one of several initiatives he prioritized for “immediate execution” in a memo sent to senior leadership last week, Marine Corps spokesman Capt. Joseph Butterfield told CNN”

I like the move…Often wondered how minority’s felt serving along side those who display the Confederate Flag and other things related to it.

Good.

1 Like

“Hey, Jenkins! Tell us a white joke!”

“Jenkins: What do you call an elevator full of white people? A box of crackers, now shut the ■■■■ up so I can sleep, you stupid car horns!”

Those who never served, will never know. :wink:

1 Like

I think it’s just different reasons why people fly the confederate flag now a days.

And I served as well, and yes there are times like you posted.

Good that they have time to address such important topics as this, now that the treaty has been signed.

Need to get to picking up pine cones and painting rocks again.

6 Likes

And picking up cigarette butts…

Then why the heck would you think you need to “wonder” about it? Didn’t you have any minority friends?

:thinking:

FOR MISSION READINESS!!!

:rofl:

2 Likes

I meant in today’s world…I was in the Army in the early/mid 80’s. Like I said, I think that flag has a different meaning today.

Ah, well let not your heart be troubled, it’s the same raunchy, racially charged drunken sex fest it was back then, I can assure you that. lol

We just don’t “haze” anymore… :wink:

2 Likes

Why can’t we keep monuments and flags of groups that fought to keep slavery legal?

Ahh… but I was in before drug testing though…:sunglasses::sunglasses::grin::grin:…It started torwards the end of my enlistment. And spent two years in Germany during that time…so we had easy access to the good stuff…lol. And ya didn’t have to worry about kicking the bucket when ya hooked up then either…lol. Though it did cross my mind years down the road :sweat::sweat::sweat:

2 Likes

Someone should rake the forest.

That flag has NO place in our military and should be removed…PERIOD. This is an entirely different subject than the removal of historical statues.

2 Likes

Meanwhile, over at the United States Army they have:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

True…but didn’t they all serve in the U.S. military first?

But they are mostly notable for their Confederate service.

And Polk was an interesting choice. Polk graduated from the United States Military Academy, but served only a few years before resigning to become a Bishop. He became a political general for the Confederacy, but was noted for his incompetency.

Confederate or Union, Polk does not seem like a good choice to name a military base after. If you wanted a Confederate to honor, there certainly were far more competent choices available.

What a great post! Content such as that is what makes the forum educational.

1 Like

I joined in 89 and I heard all kinds of stories about the availability of hash in Germany. Guys said you’d go to the bathroom in the club, toke up, and leave a little bit for the next guy.

1 Like

There will be no smoking.