Looks Like mitt's On Board

He was clearly guilty of high crimes. John Bolton confirmed this to be the case, and then some.

Romney, love him or hate him, follows what is in his conscience. And his socially conservative beliefs will have him vote in the affirmative for a socially conservative nominee. Just because he was the only Republican with an actual spine during the Impeachment trial, it does not mean he has hatred in his heart towards Trump.

Yes. There was no basis for it and it was counter to every other Republican Senator.

"On March 3, 2016, U.S. Republican politician Mitt Romney delivered a major speech for the Hinckley Institute of Politics at the Libby Gardner Hall in the University of Utah. In that speech, he denounced Donald Trump, who was then the front-runner in the 2016 Republican Party presidential primaries. He urged citizens to use tactical voting in the remaining primaries and caucuses to maximize the chance of denying Trump a delegate majority.

Romney’s speech represented an unprecedented attack by a major U.S. party’s most recent presidential nominee against the party’s current front-runner for the nomination."

So, a thing you don’t see coming must be coming because hatred?

You mean he was worried that Trump would be an unmitigated disaster, and he placed the good of the country ahead of partisan interests? The horror! And for the record, he was right to have been afraid of Trump and his disastrous ineptitude.

As I said, his conservative principles overcame his Trump hate.
Good for him.

The polls do not look good for Trump and, at this point, keeping the Senate and getting this appointment are more important.

(Not saying Trump can’t win, but…well what I did say)

But remember, back before it was clear that Trump would win the primaries, just about every Republican was making similar statements about Trump - Graham, Rick Perry, Rubio to name a few others. Hell, Lyin’ Ted Cruz even made a scene at the RNC Convention after Trump already accepted the nomination !

There is a difference between “I disagree with him” and hatred. That’s obvious in many of the posts in this forum, as well. Obviously I will not go in further detail there.

There’s no evidence he hates Trump the person, but simply believes Trump is a failure as President and should never have been elected. And he actually believed Trump committed high crimes.

That this possibility doesn’t occur to you is telling.

You haven’t shown hatred. A thing extraordinary stands out because it’s not expected, not because it’s against you.

Show the hate, please.

I think that this will make the odds of the Senate flipping even more likely. But time will tell. Also, I am still of the belief that Trump does win re-election.

And then then Trump-Mitchell axis gets Breyer’s seat.

Oh no! He attacked a nominee! He didn’t want Trump to be President!
Trump attacked Ted Cruz. Does he hate Ted Cruz?

That is my opinion. Yes, I think his statements show hatred, but it is not a critical point with me. I don’t hate Mitt for hating Trump, especially if he helps secure this seat.

"The speech, which was delivered on March 3 several hours before a GOP presidential debate, lasted approximately twenty minutes. Romney used the address, a targeted critique of Donald Trump, to declare that the candidate’s promises were “worthless”, describe him as a “fraud”, and claim that "he’s playing the American public for suckers: he gets a free ride to the White House and all we get is a lousy hat."

NO, we will get a Constitutionalist SC Justice… :grin:

1 Like

Absolutely. And replace Thomas with someone in their late-30’s or early-40’s.

Republicans have won the presidential popular vote once since 1992. Republican Senators have represented a majority of the population in one session since 1980. And they will cement a six-member court majority that could last well into 2030s? Hard to see how the diverse younger generations will accept that, or how they will react to it.

I personally like George Bush. I liked Ashcroft, whom I met and spoke with. I liked Gary Bauer. They wrought unmitigated disaster upon this country, the Middle East, and the world.

They were failures in every way.

Is this ‘hate’?

Completely in line with other GOP statements at the time though. I guess it’s possible they all hated him.

They don’t accept it. This ends in comprehensive delegitimization.

Not talking about you. Talking about Trump and what Romney has said about him, an example of which I have given.

You’re just going to pretend to miss the point?