Let's Talk About Changes to Policing

You must have a different monitor than me, that video does not show anyone getting shot on mine.

It is murder in every state for a police officer to kill someone for running away from them.

1 Like

Are you sure?

Suppose thereā€™s a guy running away from police, but towards a young family. Letā€™s imagine he is shirtless, covered in blood, and swinging a blood slicked machete while yelling ā€œIā€™m gonna kill that family!ā€

ā€¦can they shoot that guy?

1 Like

:rofl:

Of course - in the 30 seconds or so after the filming ended and before he was shot, he clearly must have regrown his missing legs, turned around and aggressively threatened the lives of the officers who shot him.

Maybe you should suggest that defense to the copsā€™ legal teams.

2 Likes

I used the word ā€œforā€ very deliberately.

A police officer, just like anyone else, can use deadly force to defend themselves or others. They cannot use deadly force to punish someone for running from them.

2 Likes

Boom! Lawyered!! :wink:

3 Likes

So you havenā€™t seen him shot from behind on video?

Why should I suggest anything, I havenā€™t seen anything to judge yet.

So you didnā€™t watch the video?

Thatā€™s true.

But I was under the impression that in very select circumstances involving observation of a violent felony occurring, that cops could fire on a subject who was running away.

Like the cop comes on scene to a guy who just shot someone to death with a pistol. He turns the pistol on the cop. They both fire, but they both miss. The guy attempts to flee.

I was always under the impression that in a very limited situation like that that a cop could fire on a fleeing suspect.

Seems like the cops screwed up on that one. They had distance and he was disabled. He wasnā€™t threat to them even with holding what looked like a machete or large knife. And Iā€™m assuming he hadnā€™t tried to assault anyone.

Sounds like those cops were overly trigger happy.

1 Like

There is no situation in which a cop is automatically allowed to respond to a fleeing auspect with deadly force.

As for your example - if the cop can articulate a reasonable fear that allowing the suspect to escape would threaten their life or the life of others, it could be self-defense - but that would depend largly on factors not described in your example: Did the suspect drop the gun after exchanging fire with the cop, or take it with him? What was he running towards? Did the cop identify himself? Was the cop in uniform?

The guy never moved in a threatening way towards them. Simply having a machete or large knife on your person isnā€™t enough for them to just start shooting.

He tried to get out of the situation and the cops walked him down from behind.

He was shot after that assuming the description is correct.

If he never moved in a threatening matter with the machete/large knife to the cops or anyone else there, then they werenā€™t supposed to fire.

The blade was a chefā€™s knife, from what I understand.

1 Like

No it isnā€™t. The cop canā€™t shoot him in the back, but he has full authorization to chase him down and arrest him. Butler apparently wants that to be illegal as well.

There are many options besides killing the suspect. Why do you always go for the nuclear scenario?

What do you think Mr. Butler was saying? Do you think he was suggesting that police shouldnā€™t chase people who run from them?

Are you not following the conversation? What was Butler discussing?

Yes, thatā€™s exactly what Butler was suggesting.

No, it wasnā€™t. There is no way to rationally interpret his comments as such.

1 Like

Obviously, you are wrong about that.

No, I think itā€™s pretty obvious that Iā€™m entirely correct.

Only to you. :stuck_out_tongue: