Let's Talk About Changes to Policing

Looks like the majority of black people disagree with them.

It’s not racial. They’ll do it to you too.

3 Likes

Help me understand what happened in this recent case. Were they beating him because he wasn’t complying? Or was it something else?

Looked to me like

Police “Stop moving!”

kick

Victim writhes in pain

Police “I said don’t move!”

tase

repeat

Because they could.

More charitably, because cops are human and subject to the same flaws as everyone else, anger, mob mentality etc.

I feel no obligation.

2 Likes

It’s hard to tell in the video. I just watched another one. In the beginning it looks like he’s resisting. I’ve never once seen a cop let you go home after resisting. If they say give me your hands, or lay down on your stomach, it isn’t a request. They’re going to get the cuffs on you one way or another.

The whole thing was hard to watch, and it never should have happened. I’m not excusing the police from what I saw on that video, but the victim gets the Darwin award. Sorry. My wife absolutely hates it when I victim blame. But I hate seeing stuff like this happen when it could have been easily avoided.

"Self-hated … "

Perhaps Van Jones should quit looking in the mirror. :neutral_face:

1 Like

I’m sure a CNN poll would show the opposite.

According to Van Jones … “self-hatred.”

Anouther Rhodes scholar

GOP ‘stood in the way’ of police reform that could have prevented death of Tyre Nichols: MSNBC analyst

Hooray for you.

Butler obviously wants a culture wherein all you have to do to avoid arrest is to run away.

“Butler answered affirmatively: “It’s 100% a culture problem. Old school policing lore says if a guy tries to run when officers want to arrest him, he pays for it. Bad apple cops follow that principle, but that’s not what the majority of hard-working, law-abiding officers do or should do.””

You understand that this is already the law, right?

He’s entirely correct - and I think your response proves his point.

Despite how you may feel, it is murder for a cop to kill someone for running away from them. Period, full stop.

If you want to change the laws, and make it legal for police to kill people who don’t follow their orders, you’re welcome to petition your local legislatures to do so.

1 Like

Here’s another example - a double-amputee, hopping away from police on his leg stumps, shot and killed from behind. It’s all on video.

Sickening.

Do you have a link to the “all on video”, video?

It’s in the link I posted. Here it is again:

https://twitter.com/WaFlo998/status/1619367585744822272?t=8VrEoWQr0jfJA9I_aBVloA&s=19

It is definitely not federal or state law that police cannot use force to stop a fleeing suspect. There are more stringent requirements on using deadly force, that can only be used in certain cases. See 9.51 of the Texas penal code.

Justice Manual | 1-16.000 - Department of Justice Policy On Use Of Force | United States Department of Justice.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PE/htm/PE.9.htm

1 Like