Let's hope this trend continues

No, it really isn’t much more about “poverty” than it is about who one’s parents are and how they are raised. Ever heard of Ben Carson for example? I personally know couples who were very much on the lower end of the economic spectrum but raised kids who were fine students. The reality is that people who are poor tend to have many negative characteristics and/or habits in common which in turn impact their efficacy as parents.

3 Likes

I agree. What’s stopping a school from raising their $9208 tuition to $17000?

I am also surprised republicans support redistribution of wealth like this.

Anecdote.

Nobody is saying it’s not possible to have a poor student do well in school. What we are saying is that being poor makes it harder.

This is likely to ruffle some feathers:

But they aren’t bad students because they are poor. They are bad students because they are picking up the same bad habits that make their parents poor. “Poor” isn’t the cause, it’s the effect.

7 Likes

Both things can be true. Poverty can negatively influence a child’s ability to learn. And bad parents can negatively influence a child’s ability to learn.

That is bad modeling. I’m sure it’s a factor. But so is poverty, like I’ve shown. Poverty effects “health and well-being; literacy and language development; access to physical and material resources; and level of mobility.”

You can start with The Bell Curve

A select school. Is it really public?

While still paying for public school.

1 Like

Data point

No thanks. But feel free to provide links or your opinion about it.

Anecdotes are absolutely part of reality and can very much falsify a position one may be trying to present as some sort of absolute. The reality is that many on the Left like to use poverty as an excuse or want to elevate it as some sort of omnipotent force that justifies the excuse.

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::+1:t4:

1 Like

Go upstream far enough and all data is anecdotes.

2 Likes

Not necessarily any harder than one from a middleclass family.

2 Likes

Completely agree. Every situation to some degree or another has its own unique circumstances, which is why overreaching sociological conclusions are in many ways fallacious.

4 Likes

If you mean that it’s possible for both poor and middle class children to excel in school. Then yes. But poverty still makes it harder for kids to learn. That doesn’t mean they can’t overcome those factors and still succeed, it just means it’s harder and puts them at a disadvantage.

True, but you listed a lack of programs is a reason that people remain poor and then suggested that creating programs that already exist should be created to help them.

I didn’t mean to suggest these programs aren’t in place. You suggested government can’t help with poverty and the issues it creates. I was suggesting it can. And in some ways, does. Some things can be improved of course.

Holy ■■■■■■■ ■■■■■

2 Likes