Let's hope this trend continues

The governor of Iowa signed a choice in education bill. The bill allows parents to send their kids to private school with public money. ITS ABOUT TIME! Parents in other states are forced to pay into public schools whether they have children or not in them. Now, parents have a choice of how their money is used. The money follows the student, not the school. I suspect we will see a tremendous improvement in Iowa schools and raising test scores as schools will have to perform or watch their students go elsewhere for an education. I hope this serves as a model for other states and is the beginning of breaking the monopoly Libs have on our kids education.

Educate, not indoctrinate!

9 Likes

I wonder if some private schools will double their prices.

2 Likes

Get woke…go broke. :+1:

2 Likes

All students are entitled to a safe, non-disruptive environment without the indoctrination factor. If the public schools cannot provide that then parents are going to gravitate to a school that can.

The US public education system is in disarray and I think headed for a shock to the system.

3 Likes

Link to the bill?

How much do they give you ? Whats the average cost of private education (tuition+books+transportation+EC expenses) in Iowa?

When parents start hearing things like math is racist coming from the school system who can blame them for wanting to move their children to a school that actually teaches?

The woke is going to have to be weeded out from schools, get back to the basics, allow discipline to keep a safe and conducive environment for learning.

3 Likes

Heres the story. You’ll have to look the specifics up if you want more.

Easy enough to find on your own.

https://www.itrlocal.org/per-pupil-school-spending

Link

2 Likes

As a former educator I absolutely support school choice, especially at the higher grade levels. Much of the cookie cutter course work in high schools for many students is a complete waste of time. Higher education should be more career oriented and geared toward students interests and abilities.

5 Likes

Predicated on lowest common denominator.

Designed for “poor babies! it’s the best they can do!”

Especially when you consider that the US taxpayer is forced to provide a free education to any and all people who come here illegally. When you look at the flood of people coming across the border and what that will mean for public education - overcrowded and underfunded schools for the masses!

3 Likes

Lib fingers must broken and cannot type a google search.

It’s an inevitable demand from a lib in almost any thread in which they disagree with something. I usually consider it trollish when they ask.

5 Likes

Amen. Waste of time, energy, and precious brain cells in a boneheaded effort to pad school time.

My kids’ school currently has half days on Wednesdays. The board is in the process of reducing it further to 4 days per week (either Wednesday or Friday off), because everyone seems to know by now that the kids are there 15 hours more per week than is required.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s just how leftist admit out loud, “I’m too ignorant to do anything on my own!” :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Thanks.

From the article:

The program is expected to cost $345 million annually by its fourth year, once it is fully phased in, according to an analysis from the nonpartisan Legislative Services Agency.

and:

The law will phase in over three years and eventually allow all Iowa families to use up to $7,598 a year in an “education savings account” for private school tuition.

Average high school cost in Iowa is $9,208.

This is a giveaway to wealthy families and private institutions.

The same way you see college costs rising with increases in government student loans, you will see private school prices increase with all this government cheese. meanwhile, public schools will lose funding and struggle further.

Also, as teh Gov. her DoE is under her control. Why not fix her public schools instead of costing the taxpayers $345M a year?

Not very fiscally conservative IMO.

4 Likes

If the OP has a link to the article or bill they are discussing, posters can discuss the topic using the same information as a starting point.

I could google this topic and find an anti-voucher article presenting the information in a different way, then our reference points are off, and the conversation is doomed.

Is it really that big of a deal to ask someone what they are reading so we’re all on the same page?

School choice is a sham. Pushed by a bunch of rich politicians who either don’t have any kids in school at all… or kids who already attend a public school.

Take this Iowa bill. It is said to provide up to $7598 dollars a year in an educational account. First… one of the main complaints of conservatives here is that “why am I paying for school when I don’t have kids in school”

This bill doesn’t give anyone their tax dollars back. Actually, it requires that all of that money be spent on education in some way shape or form. You don’t get to pocket anything extras. You don’t get $7598 back in property taxes.

You also don’t get that money if you don’t send your kid to private school. Meaning if you want to go to another public school… no up to $7598 for you. So the only choice you have is private school.

Second…

Too Private schools in Iowa cost about $9000 a year for high school and enjoy about a 15:1 student teacher ratio. They also seem to have an avg acceptance rate of 94%.

Private schools are known for their low student to teacher ratio… what happens when a great school gets flooded with new students? They either reject or increase student to teacher ratio(just like a public school). What do you think they will do?

6% rejection rate is wild considering public school rejection rate is 0%. That rate will only go up.

1 Like

It never occurs to Libs that the public school system is broken beyond repair. Being the United States of America in itself should imply and be demonstrably true, that we have the greatest educational system in the world. But we don’t, not by a long shot. Why not? Democrats have had control of the public school system for decades. Politicians have been saying the same thing over and over MORE MONEY being the most oft repeated mantra, and yet the literacy rate keeps dropping, basic math abilities are dropping and more and more kids are coming out of 12 years of public schools ignorant. But man do they know about climate change and that men are women and can get pregnant now.

Maybe if you Libs would return to the formula that worked in education before you guys took control and turned the public schools into social indoctrination centers, then maybe parents by the tens of millions wouldn’t be doing everything in their power to either get you guys, or their kids the the hell OUT of the public school system!

3 Likes