Lesson time: "You're all a bunch of leftists!"

I’ve been burrowing into anti-liberal Catholic social teaching over the last year or so. It is refreshingly different from the normal, cliched manure I hear from the usual suspects about “left-wing” this and “right-wing” that. I don’t expect it to ever grow big enough to change much in the coming two or three decades, but the Catholic traditionalist movement based around the idea of the common good is growing and I am rooting for it to become big in this country (not because I necessarily like it, but rather because I want see something different on stage). And my favorite lesson from it is a a paradigmatic shift in perspectives on political categorization:

Most people in this country, and everyone on thie forum, including those who’d recoil at “leftism”, are, in fact, leftists.

I’m not sure what you mean by “based around the idea of the common good” because that’s not what I see in it.

That is indisputably what Catholic social doctrine is based on going as far back as Aquinas.

Is Harrison Butker who just gave a graduation speech to a Catholic class on the same page with the OP?

Butker bemoaned an erosion of traditional Catholic values in daily life, claiming that things like “abortion, IVF, surrogacy, euthanasia as well as a growing support for degenerate cultural values and media” come from “the pervasiveness of disorder.”

He criticized Biden for proclaiming his Catholic faith while being “delusional enough to make the sign of the cross during a pro-abortion rally,” accusing the president of making it appear “that you can be both Catholic and pro-choice.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careers/here-s-harrison-butker-s-controversial-commencement-speech-in-full/ar-BB1mrkoR?ocid=BingNewsSerp

2 Likes

I have an obsession with feeding people. That’s definitely my most liberal trait.

You’re a leftist, as are most people on this board.

I even write with my left hand. :rofl:

I understand what you mean, but from Burke onward, conservatism developed in large part as a reaction against Enlightenment ideas:

All the pleasing illusions which made power gentle and obedience liberal, which harmonized the different shades of life, and which, by a bland assimilation, incorporated into politics the sentiments which beautify and soften private society, are to be dissolved by this new conquering empire of light and reason.

Burke was a thoughtful, perceptive person, even when he was wrong. The contemporary American right—not so much. But their relentless rejection of empirical reality, loathing of secular society, hostility to liberal democracy tracks with counter enlightenment.

I can’t remember if we’ve ever discussed Curtis Yarvin, but he strikes me as an excellent contemporary representation:

That dude sucks and has terrible ideas.

You’re missing the fatal flaw.

True, 1212

What is it about a certain faction of tech bros that rail against the system that got them where they are and instead puts forth a vision of society where they are perpetually in charge and make all the money?

2 Likes

No one is missing the self-enlightened philosophers jumping onto that sweet, sweet virtue box though. :rofl:

4 Likes

Funny how kids learn something and then think they just went through some enlightenment moment that makes em think they’re smarter then everyone else. :wink:

1 Like

I’m 30 years old and kind of sick of your unwarranted, arrogant condescension, Conan.

That being…?

My favorite episode of American Dad was when Steve Smith saw Angelina Jolie’s heavenly boobs and became a prophet. :rofl:

1 Like

I"m sorry…when you start a thread saying lesson time. Like you’re going to educate this forum.

That’s laughable.

2 Likes

Taking. Common good is fine. It’s good. Until force is used and for political purposes.

The Bible talks quite a bit about common good. Jesus was all about it. But it has to be voluntary, not taken with the threat of violence.

5 Likes

Charity is righteous. To take from one and give to another, claiming that makes you, the taker, virtuous is not.

3 Likes