Laws To Save Us

We are playing, “what if”?

I wonder why my neighborhood doesn’t have a high police presence? And yes, there are black American’s living in my neighborhood.

Good for them. They deserve a peaceful existence just as much as I do.

Look at the videos of the looters the past few days, who they consist of and then ask the same question with a straight face.

Apparently, it does.

1 Like

Maybe they should vote. That produces change. Not stealing flat screens.

Since you asked the question, why don’t you tell me?

Never mind.

Who makes the laws and what can be done about that if not by who you vote for?

Answered in my post. I was painfully clear.

How many well-off or even almost rich white folks embezzle thousands of dollars from their company and spend year in jail.

How many poor blacks steal a candy bar and get sent to jail for a year?

How many white rapists have “affluenza” and get off scott free? You never hear those stories about blacks.

Someone did a study on sentencing per race:

https://repository.law.umich.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2413&context=articles

Having said that, sentencing also apparently varies depending on if person is tried in federal or state court.

I live in a very conservative area.

Others, live in a very liberal area.

You get what you vote for.

1 Like

Actually, I wanted to respond to that earlier. It’s presented as an either-or dichotomy.

I think it should be looked at as an “and-also” construct.

But let me be clear. It’s not to say that blacks, just because they are black, are more prone to be criminals. But rather, there are factors that statistically lead to increased likelihood of criminal behavior, and some of these are inordinately concentrated within the black demographic. Two examples are kids being raised in fatherless households, and kids of parents with criminal records. And I will submit that the systemic programs and national initiatives of the past 50 years are major contributors to fatherlessness and the generational perpetuation of criminal records. It was predicted – even from within Democrat circles – as far back as the mid-60s that the welfare program would precipitate fatherless homes. Before then the divorce rate and the occurrence of fatherless homes were essentially equal between white and black families. Now over 70% of black kids are raised in fatherless homes. And a fatherless home is the surest way statistically to raise kids who will drop out of school, get involved in drugs, commit crime, be in gangs, propagate a subsequent generation of fatherless homes. And one of the biggest predictors of poverty in general.

Fatherless kids (of any race) are statistically more prone to crime. And when that condition is more heavily concentrated in a particular demographic, that demographic will be more heavily prone to be involved in crime.nd it’s

And it’s not enough to say, “See? Fatherless. They brought it on themselves…” I recognize that. I would readily agree that decades (and even centuries) of systemic racism has contributed to today’s fatherless phenomenon. And assuming that’s true, what would addressing the current problem look like? I have no answer for that, but I would like to hear ideas.

1. Reform the welfare state. As it is now, it punishes two parent households with reduced support compared to single parent households.

2. Stronger push on vocational trade education programs for at risk communities, both black and white. Sad truth is that for most of the kids, education wasn’t important to them through high school. It’s in the environment. While they may not be able to become philosophers, they could certainly become pipe fitters and welders. Give them some hope that they can make it in the modern economy.

1 Like

Hopeless communities. It’s hard to get out and most them grow up being told they’ll never get out.

The police and their tactics don’t make it any easier in those communities. They feel like they’re occupied by a foreign army. And the cops react to that by acting more like a foreign army than a police force.

Thanks. I’ll reread.

Too few.

Allan

No they aren’t.

Yes. That has to change. There are those who walk hundreds of miles just so they can get a job illegally.

The people who preach “you’ll never get out” are a disease.

Without a father to impress the value of that education, it will fall by the wayside. The crowd, the streets, the gang, peer pressure of all sorts … something else supplants what should be important.

And yes, reform the welfare state. I would even suggest a premium rather than a penalty on the two parent household.

Why bother? That concept has been rejected which is quite clear.

Then, there are those of us (including black Americans) who don’t reject the concept.

We will all do well. :wink:

There is a reason why police are more present in poorer neighborhoods (of all races, but yes, especially predominately black neighborhoods). More crime happens there. And therefore more victims of those crimes are minorities too.

So many factors propagate so many others, and sad to say, they are really concentrated in black neighborhoods. As if it’s a perfect storm of factors. Focusing on just one factor will not succeed.

I will also add that I think the media play a role here. How much has anyone heard about the cop shot in the back of the head by a rioter?

Actually, more whites are shot by cops than blacks overall, but the press emphasize the issues of blacks getting roughed up and even killed. It propagates the narrative that it’s unsafe to be black when interacting with a cop, and with that as the overarching impression, I can understand fully why a black guy would be skittish getting stopped by a cop. And the cop thinks he has to be on guard for a resistance and possible harm from the black guy, so he’s skittish as well. And then all that skittishness (and even outright resistance) creates conflict that escalates, and the end result becomes self-fulfilling.

If we give up hope, we guarantee hopelessness.

I’m calling for an end to that rejection.

But I understand what you are saying. And it seems like certain elements in this society are aching for other demographics to catch up to the fatherless stats in the black community. :frowning:

I agree, I say it’s culture.