"Latinx" does not resonate

I am not. Not sure where that’s even coming from.

So what’s the complaint?

No complaints

In my opinion it is an attempt for us to Americanize their language to find a gender neutral way of addressing both male and female Latinos.

Seems like the offensive part of “taco belling” their language.

I don’t think it’s as prominently used as people think. Further in my little anecdote, I’ve been at 4 companies with ERG groups for Latinos labeled as “Latinx”. Those groups were filled with Latinos and not a single one objected to the use of the word.

So it may also be a generational gap for the us as well. I’d bet younger generations don’t mind it and older generations are over represented in these polls.

1 Like

Taco Belling is actually a pretty good representation of LatinX, yup.

If the poll is correct, only 2 % prefer it, 40% think it’s offensive - so majority aren’t that bothered by it but don’t find it appealing. I know my Latino friends don’t use it - but don’t think are offended by it either, they just think it’s weird/unnecessary.

Just because a mental disorder wasn’t identified/labeled until recently, it doesn’t mean that the disorder (and its manifestations) didn’t exist earlier.

“Latinx” comes from the same stupidity as the identified disorder today.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Except for shoehorning in ‘wokeness’.

The term Latinx is just stupid and it comes off terribly, as a person of direct Mexican heritage with both my parents having been born in Mexico…it reeks of trying too hard and it will backfire

1 Like

It almost sounds like a good name for medication to treat Montezuma’s Revenge.

1 Like

Even that’s not a real complaint. Just highlighting the dissonance as illustrated by the poll in the OP.

It also does not sound right when spoken in spanish as X is pronounced “E-kees”…

1 Like

Right. They should do a marketing campaign with the Most Interesting Man in the World like Dos Equis…“I don’t always use stupid woke lingo but when I do…” :wink:

1 Like

Call it Ex-Lat for short.

Also, I have found that a good tex-mex bean meal is a great way to address constipation. That should be called Mex-Lax.

1 Like

its no secret right I lean left, but its moments like these were I just /facepalm Dem’s are just terrible at messaging from “Defund the Police” to “LatinX”

To be fair, I don’t think all or even majority of Dems do that. But ones that do get an obscene amount of attention.

1 Like

'Bout a year ago…
Some prog here whined when I used the word Hispanic and tried to say that the correct word is latineieio… i.e. some version of latin_

For some reason this always comes to mind when 40 year old white Democrats in marketing try to act like they’re down.

5 Likes

Wanting an entire culture to rewrite their language… No wonder they are going republican.

1 Like

Yes libs…keep using term Latinx. I’m sure Hispanic/Latino understand. Also keep calling em " Brown" people…that’s a real hit among Latino’s.

2 Likes

The ones that do wind up working for left leaning media.