Larry Elder concede and suggest the election was rigged, before a single ballot was counted

So, when Dutch luxury traders were arranging transalpine and oceanic trade routes in the 1400s this was really looty and plunderous theft, even though no capitalist system would emerge for nearly three hundred more years?

2 Likes

Beat me to it.

2 Likes

I swear we’ve been having this same dumb argument since 2003-4 here. It’s like the background in a Hannah-Barbera cartoon.

5 Likes

What timeframe is “about to pass?”

2020 State GDP:
California: $3.12 trillion
Texas: $1.77 trillion

2018 State GDP Growth:
California: 3.5%
Texas: 3.2%

2020 State GDP Growth:
California: -2.8%
Texas: -3.5%

Q1 2021 GDP Growth:
California: 6.3%
Texas: 4.3%

California’s GDP is $1.35 trillion higher than Texas’ and California has a higher GDP growth rate. How is Texas “about to pass” California?

Do people look at the actual numbers or just say things they hope are true?

5 Likes

Yeppers.

I imagine even trying to bring up Punic trade routes, or the collapse of the global trade system in the 1100s bce, would be met with the same reactions as in 2006: 'that’s all capitalism, ordained by divine ordinance, and freedom blather blah blech …"

1 Like

Really, these (like the Williams quote, above; or current antivaxxer screechery; or the laffer curve; or the phrenology of cultures) are faith axioms, and they don’t have to change.

Disagreement makes them stronger. Rejection makes them virulent. Ignoring them gives their holders the sweet release of simmering resentment.

4 Likes

As I said, the circularity of your logic is totally awesome.

“Democrats steal elections. How do I know this? Because they steal elections!”

:rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I was going to say: the recall wasted—what?—$300,000. But California still has a surplus of over $75 billion: I think they’ll make it.

So called conservative Republicans

1 Like

1 Like

Not counting unfunded liabilities.

1 Like

Some people pick #2 for $1000 Alex.

WW

1 Like

:rofl: Not counting unfunded liabilities

I think it cuz of the mild climate. Which I also think is part of the reason why CA has so many homeless people to begin with.

That’s a big reason, the climate here allows for year round comfort…not the only of course

The recall cost $276 million

1 Like

I also think that climate is a pull factor for people from other states; both those with homes and the homeless.

The cost of the recall election and the result certainly speaks to the need for the criteria to trigger a recall election needs to be changed to be far more stringent.

Thank you! I have said that multiple times, yet nobody has acknowledged it.

It is profoundly anti democratic that a fraction of the winning votes (not the total votes cast) can force a recall, and a fraction of those votes can then select a new governor.

The winner if the recall is by plurality, not a majority.

I support recalls, and citizen initiatives, but the bar has to be much higher to dissuade those that cynically exploit it.

Climate is a big part. But we can’t really ignore that states around the US will give their homeless populations one way bus tickets to other states like California.