LA spends over $800,000 per unit to house the homeless!

And admitting that he’s off topic, since this thread is about the $800K housing.

3 Likes

I stand corrected - here is the program linked in the OP:

Sounds like public subsidies of housing projects in which a certain amount of homes are given to homeless people.

More info:

https://housing.lacity.org/housing/updated-prop-hhh-terms-regulations-10-18-18

Rent is capped, but these are not free units.

I thought they were building kind of transition housing, where you get the folks off the streets, they get themselves a job and/or clean, then move on.

Have to digest this…knee jerk reaction is, on the front end, this is ripe for fraud. On the back end, how much of the homeless population could pay ANY rent what so ever? Wonder how many of these units sit vacant, while the developer uses the subsidies to finish off the nicer, regular rent units on the project site?

Scaffold building is both an art and science

return_to_the_36th_chamber_1

2 Likes

3 Likes

Many already built a life. Mental health and drug addiction aren’t going to be cured by having a place to stay.

Buy a hotel (for example) and convert it to a rehab facility. If someone is living in the streets they get a choice : the rehab facility or be bussed out of town. Move them by merit into the new facilities with the condition they are drug/alcohol free and are either (a) learning a new skill or (b) employed.

And there are plenty of boarded up motels already that could be purchased for a song.

Ditto vacant ex-big-box properties that could be converted into apartments.

1 Like

The developer.

You are correct. Found more info on the program above.

So much empty retail out there. But highway big box locations then raise the issue of transportation.

This differs by region im sure but in some areas where these big box retail and failing hotels are aren’t serviced well by mass transit.

Solvable problem though.

The municipality is in charge of mass transit.

Maybe they should build the apartments where land is cheaper and bring the homeless to the apartments instead of the apartments to the homeless.

3 Likes

A bus ticket to Martha’s Vineyard. :wink:

3 Likes

That’s how getting addicted works.

“They can’t help it!”? Really?

What’s the truth?

Where did I say ‘they can’t help it.’?

1 Like

I’m reminded of a comment I recently made in reference to San Fransisco spending over a half million dollars and taking 4 years to design a new, stylish trash can:

The people of ancient Britain built Stone Henge.

The Pharaohs build the pyramids.

Rome built the Coliseum.

Paris build Notre Dame.

San Fransisco built a trash can.

2 Likes

San Francisco pretty much IS a trash can.

1 Like

The more you spend on the homeless, the more people will be encouraged to be homeless. You get what you pay for…

1 Like