Just remember the Confederates were Democrats

I think that’s fair.

Probably not, but there was a war on.

I think the vast majority are being taken down by the city… hasn’t it only been one or two that have been taken down by protestors?

Has there been a call for the removal of any non-confederate statues?

This is Monday-morning quarterbacking, but looking back on reconciliation, kissing and making up was a fine short-term solution, but did it place future generations in an unfair position? The good sirs of the war just wanted to shake hands and move on (especially the confederate sirs). If anything, it may have had the effect of allowing the losers of the war to have their cause validated over the next 150+ years.

In the year 2020, I think a lot of people question why we must still abide the names of those sirs on our buildings, statues of those sirs in our public squares, and why the flag of some of the losing sirs is held with such reverence.

Possibly.

Lincoln spoke to it explaining why he didn’t try and hang the leaders.

I looked at Bragg and Benning. Both started and named in 1918.

America can’t fight a war without the sons of the South. That was reconciliation to which I referred.

I don’t have a problem removing the statues, flags or changing the names of bases in public spaces.

Seems to me to be extreme, given that it’s been over 100 years, but I get it.

You think it will stop there?

Since all you “non-racist” Libs just love to protest racist things that have hurt African Americans so much, since you just cry at the monuments to racism that still exist in our society, how about we abolish and tear down the greatest monuments to racism that still hurts the African American communities today more than anything else you could name?

Planned Parenthood!!!

Now all you hypocrite Libs chime in and tell us why not…

1 Like

this was part of a plaque that was in the texas state capitol building.
it wasnt taken down until last year.

“We, therefore, pledge ourselves to preserve pure ideals … to study and teach the truths of history (one of the most important of which is that the War Between the States was not a rebellion, nor was its underlying cause to sustain slavery).”

the texas capitol grounds has about a dozen monuments to the confederacy.
they finally put up a monument to african americans just a couple of years ago.

Do you live in Texas?

:+1:

3 Likes

I think Moonshine lives in Austin.

The plaque was offensive AND was not a teachable moment unless the reader could see the desperation to revise history in its wording. Texans should be ashamed it took so long to take it down.

Close enough.

@moonshine you should do something about those plaques and statues. Let me know.

Collective shame? :rofl:

Not hardly.

[quote=“Borgia_dude, post:31, topic:231999”]
Nobody is expunging history of the civil war except those who pretend it was about states’ rights and not slavery.
States rights was part of the secession decision albeit rooted in the antiquated laws of slavery.
Statues are generally made to honor or commemorate. Quit pretending having statues to the confederacy is about remembering history. We remember the slave South quite well without statues. [/quote]
I studied the Civil War quite extensively years ago when the curriculums weren’t watered down. A lot of boys and young men from the Confederacy and the Union lost their lives in battles that were fought on grounds that were smaller than football fields. You think that didn’t take a measure of intestinal fortitude and a profound faith in God that their cause was not righteous?
Bravery recognized with a statue isn’t about remembering history.

3 Likes
  1. If the statue were if some nameless confederate soldier, I might agree with you. But they aren’t. They are of the leaders of the confederacy.

2. The timing the statues were erected wasn’t shortly after the war. Their erection was during times of civil unrest with blacks. You think that is coincidence?

Oh? Do you agree with the “history” the plaque imparts to the reader?

How very binary.

I’m a horrible person.

2 Likes

It’s fine if you don’t. So why have it there if it is wrong?

hahahahahahaha

I can easily put myself in their mindset and admit they were wrong.

Or if I do. “Wrong” is subjective.