Just remember the Confederates were Democrats

Nobody is expunging history of the civil war except those who pretend it was about states’ rights and not slavery.

Statues are generally made to honor or commemorate. Quit pretending having statues to the confederacy is about remembering history. We remember the slave South quite well without statues.

1 Like

Obviously not. :rofl:

If the book is glorifying the confederate army in the middle of a city, then yes, take it down.

Otherwise a book isn’t what we are talking about here. We are talking about monuments to traitorous losers who want to keep slavery

this is what the confederacy was about. and why confederate mmeorials should be torn down

]ts foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests upon the great truth, that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery—subordination to the superior race—is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth

You need to attribute your sources when you quote please.

Forget? No. Have fewer opportunities to teach it. When we saw such a statue on a family vacation when my kids were young, it was a teachable moment. That said, every community has the right to choose their own statues and I have no objection to their being legally removed.

So we need to erect statues of confederate leaders so we can teach our kids? For every one child “taught” about the traitorous slavery defending person the statue is remembering, I can guarantee there are a thousand who did not have this teachable moment and likely see the statue as statues are normally viewed in public squares, as positions of honor.

I assume you are against state laws requiring state approval to remove statues if you are for local power?

Yes, I am against state laws that say a city or town can’t remove them. If on the other hand it was paid for by the state and they destroy them, they should get a bill.

So we need to erect statues of confederate leaders so we can teach our kids? For every one child “taught” about the traitorous slavery defending person the statue is remembering, I can guarantee there are a thousand who did not have this teachable moment and likely see the statue as statues are normally viewed in public squares, as positions of honor.

1 Like

I didn’t say we needed them or that it was the only way it can be taught. Only that when they do exist they are used that way by a lot of people, including myself.

First…remove your feelings…and now…go back in time…to the place where the statues were erected…and the mindset of those at the time? Can you do that? Right after the war and you’re on the losing end, you erect a statue to someone whom you believed was your hero. Now…over a century later, you don’t buy into that? That’s your choice and I understand that. My question is, why attempt to erase the momento of that time and place? You don’t have to agree with it but…do you understand their mindset? Why they felt that way? This doesn’t mean you have to subscribe to their beliefs but it does provide an insight into their mindset and that’s a good thing because it’s a great reminder of what you don’t want repeated IMHO. Use it as a tool for your mind, not an incitement of your feelings. So again I ask, can you do that?

2 Likes

You told your child about the evils of slavery and the evils of the south fighting to preserve slavery and how decades later people erected those vile statues as a means to attempt to whitewash history and pretend it was about states rights instead of preserving slavery in order for people to feel better about their heritage. Also, those statues were put up to intimidate blacks.

Good for you! But as I stated before, you are the exception. Hardly anyone has those teachable moments.

Did you child ask why the statue remained in the place of honor of a public square?

2 Likes

Yes. I can put myself in the mind of having defended the right to own slaves and being pissed that my side lost and wanting to show those uppity blacks who really was in charge.

If you want to imagine they were erected a few years after the war you can embrace that delusion.

Most of the Confederate monuments concerned were built in periods of racial conflict, such as when Jim Crow laws were being introduced in the late 19th century and at the start of the 20th century or during the Civil Rights Movement of the 1950s and 1960s.

Perhaps you should be asking yourself why you think it is so important that these statues stay up?

3 Likes

I know.

The logic of this thread suggests that modern day conservatives are defending…Democrat memorials?

lol

2 Likes

Bingo :rofl::joy:

These statues should come down. For a few good reasons:

1. They weren’t put up right after the war, they were put up in points of our history where Black Americans were attempting to gain equal rights as a measure of intimidation.

2. Black Americans living in these cities still are reminded not of the Civil War but of the community’s opinion of them. Imagine putting a statue of Hitler in Jerusalem, commemorating the victory over him but showing him on a horse, looking all tough. That wouldn’t fly, and neither should this. Every person fighting to keep these statues are ostensibly saying that their fellow Americans have no right to take offense at glorifying people who committed treason in order to continue enslaving Black Americans.

3. We aren’t going to change until we let go of the past, or at least learn from it. The statues are part of the community and their history, so put them in a museum, where they belong. And present it in the proper context, not as glory to the Confederate but a shameful history of the town itself.

And I still want Military bases to change their names if they are named after Confederates. I just don’t get that at all.

2 Likes

Reconciliation.

Over and done with. Change Benning to Shermann and I will be happy.

That’s not going to happen.