Judge orders ICE to stop separating families and to reunite kids

Crawfish. Typical.

What basis is there for granting asylum from Guatemala?

Lets do it this way.

Keep the families together.

Get enough Judges so that we can try cases expeditiously.

If they have a meritable claim to asylum, grant it, otherwise, by and with due process, deport them.

I agree this would be a great step in the right direction.

What, realistically, would be the cost of a judge vs. the cost to house, feed, and provide medical care per family? How many cases can a judge hear per day? There has to be a cost benefit at some point.

So, say on day 10, the cost for a judge breaks even. After 10 days the cost of the family is greater than the cost of the judge.

I’m curious if anyone has run the numbers on this.

Out of curiosity, did you read the ruling?

i read where it was costing 770+ a day to house the kids.
lets say the actual number is 350/day
2k kids at 300/day is 700k/ a day
in 10 days thats 7M . thats will pay for a lot of judges

If only we had a “third safe country” agreement with Mexico…

U.S., Mexican officials to discuss asylum pact

Under such a pact, migrants would be required to seek asylum in Mexico if they passed through that country en route to the U.S. The U.S. and Canada inked a similar deal in 2002.

Reaching a safe third country agreement with Mexico won’t be easy, given the Mexican government’s profound irritation with Trump, who has attacked Mexico (and Mexicans) repeatedly and still insists that Mexico ought to pay for a wall along the southwest U.S. border. In addition, Mexico’s forthcoming July 1 presidential election has made President Enrique Peña Nieto’s ruling party wary of seeming too accommodating to the U.S. (Peña Nieto himself is not running.)

But if cemented, a U.S.-Mexico safe third country pact could slash the flow of migrants to the southwest border — all without any need to secure congressional approval. “It would be a huge deal,” one DHS official told POLITICO. “It’s definitely a real priority.”

Does that include those taken into custody for breaking the law??? And what does the ruling say should happen to kids while mummy and/or daddy sit in a jail awaiting a hearing? Does that ruling say where the kids should go? Should they be in an adult detention facility?

Even if they continue to prosecute for illegal entry, most of those are being let go with time served and a $10 fine… It’s not like they are serving weeks or even months in jail after pleading guilty… Starting to see how poorly this policy was executed?

Let go?? As in convicted and allowed to STAY in the United States. Upon conviction their asses should be deported!

I am merely pointing out that the results so far with this policy is time served and a $10 fine… This is from REAL court records, not opinions, coulda, woulda, shoulda’s, but real records from real cases since this policy went into effect…

Not until they get their asylum hearings as required by law, which supposedly the Trump administration is adamant needs to be followed to the letter for all people (except themselves of course).

Have any links to the REAL court records so I can read through them to see if a deportation order is issued as well.

Please and thank you.

www.pacer.gov… You are going to need an account and a payment method…

ACLU at their usual judge shopping. Judge should be instructing Congress to change the law, not instructing Immigration to violate laws.

So…basically return to the status quo before April 6, 2018. I agree.

It’s almost like this was a stupid policy and not well thought out…

There is no law that mandates what Trump is doing.

Read the ruling. It’s only 25 pages. It doesn’t take long.

This. It started falling apart within 6 weeks. That’s how dumb it is.

the judge is a bush appointee. no judge shopping

I’d also like the laws regarding assylum revisited to examine how the interpretation applies to our present situation.