Jesus liked slavery. Does our inherent desire to be slaves indicate that slavery should be legal?

Bring it back? When has the world ended slavery?

Every major city has it’s fleet of sexual slaves.

Sure, the numbers are getting better as we speak, but slavery is alive and well.

We, in a real sense are all owned by our oligarch rulers.

Regards
DL

1 Like

Sin wise, slavery is a big sin and to think Jesus would forget about a big sin, if he was against it, would be strange. No?

The only way I can justify the lack of mention is that slavery in that day is what we would call a social safety net today. Slaves of that day were the bottom of the classes just as the welfare recipients today are at the bottom of our classes.

Regards
DL

Why would anybody be stuck working for minimum wage? Less than one percent of adults work for minimum wage. And they are are free to quit and accept a job that pays better.

A lot of things from 2,000+ years ago do not apply to the now, yet much still does. I find it more efficient to ignore the social ongoings of yesteryear in favor of receiving the value of the Message itself.

These stats seem to bely your estimate.

https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/minimum-wage/2017/home.htm
In 2017, 80.4 million workers age 16 and older in the United States were paid at hourly rates, representing 58.3 percent of all wage and salary workers. Among those paid by the hour, 542,000 workers earned exactly the prevailing federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.

What was your source?

Regards
DL

Slavery shouldn’t be legal. Basing laws on fictional characters is not a good idea.

If you ignore the context and who Jesus was talking to your interpretations are likely inaccurate.

Regards
DL

Same as yours.

My question remains. Why would any adult work for minimum wage? Would you?

True by todays context, but in the old days, slavery is what we would today call welfare as both terms show those who are of our lowest class. I went a little longer on this just above.

Regards
DL

By my interpretation, the Message is but a continuation of the Golden Rule. I have no need to consider the society where this latest iteration of, “Treat others as you would have them treat you,” though I do understand and appreciate the benefits of such mental exercises; because without a contrasting reference, there wouldn’t be much room to grow, much less any direction for it.

You have a better chance of convincing a Buddhist that Buddha was fictional. Or a Muslim that Muhammed was fictional than you will of convincing a Christian that Christ was fictional. You’re wasting your time.

BTW, have you ever tried to tell a Muslim that Muhammed wasn’t real?

Then show the truth by quoting what Jesus said to refute my view.

Or is denial without having to show anything your style?

Regards
DL

I agree with you. I think all religions will hold on to their fictional beliefs to the bitter end. The idea of ‘faith’ the continued belief in something regardless of proof is a genius way to continue membership in the club(s).

This discussion is a good example, the use of a fictional character to possibly justify something like slavery. You can’t really prove it, you just have to have ‘faith’.

The scribes may have known this and that is why scriptures tell Christians that if they wish to perfect their wisdom, they have to get out of the Christian ideology and seek elsewhere.

They knew the bible was deficient in perfecting wisdom and were telling Christians to be esoteric ecumenists like Gnostic Christians were, as they were the intelligentsia in those days.

Regards
DL

2 Likes

Prove it to whom? I don’t think that anybody feels obligated to justify their faith to a third party. And why should they? Is it anybody else’s business?

Of course. God gave man reason and free will. Don’t use either of them or God will damn you for all time. Then why the ■■■■ did God give us these to begin with? Oops. There I went using reason again. Guess I’m a lost cause. :wink:

1 Like

It wasn’t, until a bunch of people got together and decided it needed to be organized.

No it isn’t. So why are they advertising it and insulting others by their one-upmanship and insults of their being saved while telling others they cannot be unless they too have the same faith in the same god and not faith in some other god?

Regards
DL

True. An immoral bunch of men. Lying men that is.

Regards
DL

Well to be fair, it was women too. Their books were just removed later. Couldn’t have men listening to women after all.

1 Like