It is going to be a lovely day (NOT!) in Houston today

The storm has come ashore, lots of power out and street flooding. I live about 85 miles from the coast, so no heavy rain yet, but the Eye is supposed to pass over us in about 6-7 hours.

5 Likes

Hopefully the storm underperforms and damage is minimal.

Please keep us posted!

I’m on a group PM with the staff where I work. Most of them live in central or South Houston. A lot of them have no power right now. This thing is only a weak Cat 1, but we have had some good rain the last couple of days down by the coast. The ground down there is pretty well saturated.

3 Likes

It is always impressive how crews from other states convoy to storm impact areas to help get the power back on. Unsung heroes they are.

1 Like

Yeah, we get a lot of crews from out of state. I think they stage in Northern Texas this time of year.

1 Like

Just heard the first wind band and saw the rain pick up with the gust.

1 Like

Stay Safe. Keep us posted.

I’ve lost count how many of these things I have been through. Prep is always pretty much the same. Generator fueled, test run and staged with extension cords. Grill set with a full tank of propane. 25 gallons of gasoline in cans and both cars topped off Nothing that can take off in the wind out in the yard. 4 cases of bottled water. Just another Hurricane season on the Gulf Coast.

5 Likes

If you didn’t get any footage of yourself headbanging in the rain, this isn’t even exciting. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Yup. We had a whole house generator installed. It’s way too hot to just deal with fans for a week or so.

I just ordered 100 sandbags and we’ll have sand delivered in the next week or so. That is one thing I’ve not done in the past.

I changed to Starlink so I’ll have internet (last hurricane, we lost internet and cell service for about 6 weeks).

2 Likes

Wind is going pretty good now. My son watched a large pine tree go down about 100 yards from the house, across the road. We are in a new house, so no tall trees actually near any of the houses. Power is still on, though an older neighborhood about 2 miles away is now without power.

3 Likes

It’s rough but those are that best cigarettes you’ll ever have as a smoker for some weird reason.

Smokers are some of the most dedicated people on the planet.

1 Like

That’s not even a lie.

“I may get smacked in the head by debris, but by God I’m smoking this menthol.”

1 Like

Stay safe :purple_heart:

sorry about my suv and all this global war…. i mean, climate change.

Until they’re asked to pay a toll. Then they let you know about their hero status.

2 Likes

Spent the last 11 hours without power and my generator didn’t want to start, even though I tested it yesterday. Had to take the carb apart and flush it with carb cleaner. All good now.

2 Likes

The storm is long gone, sky was blue and clear heading into sunset. But lots of trees down and a whole lot of people without power.

3 Likes

This is good news! Amazing. I love that blue sky clearing in after a day of heavy storm.

Good luck and prayers :pray: for everyone there, speedy cleanup and all get the help they need :dove: