It is going to be a lovely day (NOT!) in Houston today

Glad to hear you and your family made it through safely!

good to hear! what a pain.

Stay safe.

Thank you to all for the best wishes. Power is still out, but I have 9750 watts of electricity at my disposal, even though I had to put my small engine mechanic hat back on and completely blow out the carb on the system. Murphy’s Law strikes again. Lots of downed trees and power lines still all over the area. No where near the rain that was expected and the storm was dashing off to the Northeast in under 24 hours. It seems that we have a bunch of new inhabitants in the Houston Area that don’t have the basics for a hurricane event on hand. No generator, or bottled water stash, all the perishable food spoiled with no electricity for the frig/freezer. The only thing we don’t have is the central air and ceiling lights. The power company says the power to our area may be out up to 3 more days.

2 Likes

Thank God it was weakened to a cat 1. I saw video of the wind and rain when it hit the Houston area. What the hell would a Cat. 4 or 5 look like?

Like Harvey and Ike, those were hurricanes. Whole neighborhoods under water, windows blown out of the tall buildings downtown, several hundred injured or killed.

The humidity there must be God Awful right now. Especially with no power or AC.

The few times I had AC issues, I just slept in my car with the AC turned on. Idling all night.

Two way fans work great too. A lot of times it cools down at night, but inside the house doesn’t cool down right away. A 2 way fan will cool down a room in 10 minutes.

1 Like

The closest thing I had to deal with was Sandy. I think that was a tropical storm or depression by the time it hit. The damage it caused was ridiculous. The Houston vids looked worse.

New house, very tight circulation. Outside is humid, but we’re used to it.

Yeah, that was an Atlantic storm that made it North before going inland. A big rain event, but the water off the North East is a lot colder than the gulf. Down here the costal water gets above 80 degrees to a depth of over 100 feet. It is that stored heat that powers the storm. Loss of the heat energy from the water is why they die out so quickly once they come ashore.

1 Like