It has begun, Minneapolis will disband its police department, what will come of this sociological experiment?

I am for shifting funding from police to community projects. For years, defunding in these areas led to increase in crime, which was responded with increase and militarizing of police. If we want to actually get to the root of the problem, this includes investment in community. Not sure if that needs to come from police, but people aren’t getting the second half of these calls to “defund the police” The goal isn’t to handicap police, but to limit police to only responding to specific types of crime. There isn’t a reason police should be called for things like a wellness check. I think the hashtag doesn’t do the movement justice because it isn’t removing police, but changing how the community polices itself.

1 Like

Exactly. Neighbors taking responsibility for their own neighborhoods instead of doing nothing and expecting police to handle everything. Wouldn’t that be nice?

In various capacities.

The most extreme example being 1793 and 1794 in France.

Would these be the neighbors that are burning businesses and rioting and looting?

It is just an outright lie that people are calling for no police. When you look at some of the “crimes” these unarmed black people have died from, they are not violent. Like stealing skittles or using a fake $20. Responding to these with the same people who train for bank robberies is ridiculous. I think police should be backup in that case, send in someone who isn’t in uniform without a gun who is trained specifically for things like this. one way to stop police brutality is to prevent them from being in the position where they make unjustified brutal arrest. I think social workers who are trained in specifically deescalation can really do the community good.

Weren’t you people claiming most of these looters/rioters weren’t from the areas they were looting/rioting? Doesn’t make them neighbors, now does it?

There hasn’t been looting for days. Stop using that excuse and commend the fact that its become peaceful. These protest last couple days have been as American as can be.

1 Like

As it stands, I can think of several incidents where police involvement actually made the situation worse.

1 Like

When you respond to police using the same weapons and gear used to invade countries, that is a problem. It dehumanizes both sides.

1 Like

I’m not referring to what happened at a specific time. It happened period. Are the people that looted or burned things down the neighbors that are going to look out for their neighbors?

I never claimed any such thing.

No. Community policing means sending someone not in uniform who has been trained specifically to talk and deescalate. That is what it means. Sending the same people used to stop bank robbery to something like stealing skittles is in itself escalation of the situation.

Of course you didn’t. As it turns out several have been linked to White Supremacy Groups. Truth hurts.

History repeats itself. Watch videos from the 60s and the response to the MLK marches. You know what they said? They said there were outside groups provoking riots. you can’t make this up. I am not saying there aren’t, there are. But the historical context for this and how similar in response it is to the brutality against MLK, is baffling.

There have been videos of cops (out of uniform) stirring them up. Easy to spot too. They aren’t dressed like the protestors.

Not like it’s anything new either:

So then it’s ok to burn and loot at the breakout of a riot but when curfews are imposed, people get locked up and the NG arrives looting and burning understandably subsides and we can stop talking about it?
Let’s pretend hundreds of millions of dollars in property damages, livelihoods lost and Captain Dorn’s murder in St. Louis didn’t happen too?

1 Like

Maybe you should try doing something about it instead of just talking about it. There’s a thought.

I just want to be clear that you believe that the people that were rioting In Minneapolis were not from Minneapolis and were white supremacists from out of town?

I asked for CONSERVATIVES in the House or Senate and the bill proposed. Trump is not in the house, senate, or conservative.

How about focusing on the question asked.

That’s what the mayor believes according to the article I linked, but hey why take his word for it? :roll_eyes: