IT BEGINS: Ocasio-Cortez Suggests GIVING VACANT APARTMENTS to NYC'S Homeless

There is a difference between appealing to our base nature, versus our higher nature

And yes, I am talking about welfare also.

Little that I care for this woman’s platform, I’ve got to admit once in awhile, she has a point.

What exactly happens when residential dwellings stay vacant for a time? Don’t people like homeless have a tendency to become squatters there? Haven’t meth labs taken a foothold in vacant housing in the midwest?

Now it probably would be wiser to institutionalize those who are homeless & seriously mentally ill. But couldn’t some reasonable terms be issued to get homeless elderly, families who may be homeless for other reasons to rent the vacated apartments at nominal cost?

She had an idea until she started talking about “sticking it to wealthy developers.”

Oy, I find this increasing anti wealthy sentiment disturbing.

The poor poor rich.:roll_eyes:

Look at the history of countries where this sentiment has gone full force. Eventually it spreads to other groups.

Research actor Lance Hendriksen. This man has filmed in Romania, & noted Ceaucescu driving the middle class out of their homes & into worker apartments.

As they weren’t allowed to bring pets with them, the animals became strays or were shot.

Is that what you want? To see people forced out of homes they’re paying for & pets mistreated? To see everyone equally poor except for the ■■■■■■■■ who come up with these ideas?

This is the worlds tiniest violin playing my heart bleeds for you.

Aww c’mon. At least come up with your own line of bull. That’s a line from Sponge Bob Square Pants.

Its not bull, I have far more concern for the poor than the rich.

Mobi sort of has a point here. It is difficult to get a job or assistance like food stamps without a permanent address.

That said, I don’t support forcibly confiscating private property.

She’s not talking about kicking people out but letting people stay in vacant apts.

This is what is being done in Finland. Housing is the first priority because without it providing other assistance and treatment is difficult.

Homelessness in Finland has been significantly reduced over the last ten years as a result.

1 Like

She’s actually not even talking about that, as far as I understand.

She made the comments in a tweet about a proposed luxury development in Queens that would cause a significant number of lower-income families to lose their homes.

I read her comments as deriding the need for more luxury development, and not a call to foricbly house the homeless in empty apartments.

They did something similar with vacant HOUSES in Colorado. Turns out it was a win win, since the houses were no longer sitting empty and the homeless were able to do some upkeep. The banks were still able to sell them later on, but it helped the homeless in obtaining employment having an address and a mailbox.

1 Like

Are they actually confiscating it or just using it as temporary housing until an actual tenant can take over?

That’s one thing I’ve noticed about the norrheastern states.

Residents claim to be such advocates for the poor, openly express disdain for the wealthy. Yet any new housing that goes up is “luxury”.

Actually it isn’t the poor who are that bad off. There are rent subsidies & low income home buyers programs. The wealthy will have no problem renting or buying.

It’s those who aren’t wealthy & don’t qualify for subsidies who have more limited housing choices.

Ocasio-Cortez has some valid points, much as I disagree with her platform as a whole.

The rapid building of luxury condos and apartments is a detriment to the city. The problem that she is pointing out is very real. It is not only affecting the poor, but is also having a detrimental effect on the middle class in the city.

1 Like

The same is happening in neighboring Massachusetts, where some branches of the state mental hospital are being shut down & replaced with condos.

It’s as if the dominant voting population doesn’t want anyone here but subsidized poor & wealthy.

Those of you not in either of those groups can leave. When my daughter graduates from high school, I’ll be gone, never to be seen or heard from again.