Is Trump right to criticize Fox News for Dem town halls?

Trump took to Twitter yesterday to complain about the recent Dem town halls on Fox News, including for Pete Buttigieg, who he has taken to calling “Alfred E. Newman.” (Wonder how many Trumpees had to Google that?)

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1130220542538264576

Buttigieg’s town hall was well received by the live Fox News audience, including getting a standing ovation at the end. (It also did well in the TV ratings.) Among his comments included in the NBC link:

“A lot of people in my party were critical of me doing this, and I get where that’s coming from, especially when you see what goes on with some of the opinion hosts on this network,” Buttigieg told Fox News host Chris Wallace.

Buttigieg cited “Tucker Carlson saying immigrants make America dirty” and “Laura Ingraham comparing detention centers with children in cages to summer camps.” Wallace did not address Buttigieg’s attacks on the two hosts.

Carlson and Ingraham both host primetime shows on Fox News and have stirred controversy with their comments. Carlson, in December, said allowing in immigrants" makes our own country poor and dirtier and more divided." Ingraham, in June, said immigrant child detention centers were “essentially summer camps.”

“There’s a reason anybody has to swallow hard and think twice before participating in this media ecosystem,” Buttigieg said. “But I also believe that even though some of those hosts are not always there in good faith, I think a lot of people tune into this network who do it in good faith.”

“And there are a lot of Americans who my party can’t blame if they are ignoring our message, because they will never hear it if we don’t go on and talk about it,” he continued, adding that “we have to find people where they are, not change our values, but update our vocabulary so that we’re truly connecting with Americans coast to coast.”

Now personally, I don’t think Dems should bother with Fox. But if there was a way to do it right, Buttigieg did it. He gave both sides something to think about.

Of course, Fox covered the story not from a straight news viewpoint but from the rating POV and didn’t focus on his comments on their website. Fox also posted a friendly author’s opinion that Buttigieg makes Dems radical and an opinion by MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough (hate the enemy until they say something you like) that Mayor Pete was the party’s future.

I think Pete will be around for a while. Good for him.

Our president tells Fox News what to do and calls other adults middle school names.

Why would any sane person vote for this guy?

4 Likes

The President has adopted the Fox News Channel as his very own. He has made it the news outlet for President Trump. It took Fox a while, but I don’t think they want to go down THAT road.

2 Likes

^^^ This. Dementia is overtaking his mouth faster than his brain can react.

Why, 'cause of his policies!! And the “Trump economy”!!

If anyone watched the town hall last night on Fox News with Mayor Pete they’d know that Fox News needs to be criticized. Are they intentionally trying to help Democrats get elected? Mayor Pete looked amazing last night. That’s the last thing we want. Fox News used to be in the business of getting Republicans elected, but now it seems to be the exact opposite. Donald Trump is right to be pissed.

2 Likes

Its not about right or wrong. He is free to do as he pleases.

In this particular case I happen to disagree with him. I believe Fox is doing the right thing by catering to the DEMs in this fashion. It feeds their fair and balanced narrative and can only increase their audience share.

Having said that, I personally had no interest and didn’t watch.

If Trump loses the Evangelical vote to Buttigieg it’s all over.

2 Likes

I seriously doubt Buttigieg will even win the DEM primary so I wouldn’t concern myself with that.

You’re probably right.

He’s a rockstar though. He’s the future of the party.

I don’t agree with all of that stuff. But that’s his style. I voted for him based on policy.

1 Like

He might try, but Fox isn’t paying attention.

yep!

You kinda nailed it in your prior comment. He comes across as your average Joe instead of a slick Washington politician. He is approachable. And I happen to agree with his political ideology.

1 Like

That’s what they were saying about Beto! Where is he now?

Yes! An issues voter! :+1:

Beto was FOTM. If Beto was more than that he’d be running for Senate right now.

1 Like

Your post shows the genius of Donald Trump’s con games.

He’s a New York City con man born with a silver spoon and bailed out by his daddy over and over and you post things like “He comes across as your average Joe instead of a slick Washington politician.”

I give Trump a lot of credit for the con he’s currently running. It’s brilliant.

6 Likes

Don’t you ever get tired of reciting those same old worn out talking points? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I never get tired of telling the truth.

I do feel kind of bad for the marks though. They never know when they’re being conned.

3 Likes

Yep! Them there dumb, idiot deplorables. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

The Russians never guessed they would be so successful. They love the help.

1 Like