Is there a wage gap? Probably not

How do you know it is a lie? You have provided any data

I had no forced ranking. Over time it became very obvious as to which of my employees was busting their butts and which ones were simply doing enough to get by. I also had a couple who werenā€™t pulling their weight at all. I refer to them as dead weight.

There were no quotas.

Come review time, it was very obvious to me where each person stood. Those at the top (bending over backwards to go above and beyond) got generous merit increases. Those at the very bottom got no increases. Whenever there was an inevitable RIF, the dead weight at the very bottom were most at risk.

Having lived under that kind of a system in several fortune 500 financial firms, I never saw any evidence of the quotas you refer to. As a manager, that kind of system ensured that my best employees were well compensated, so as to ensure they didnā€™t look to go elsewhere.

Why you be hating the topic?

Which isā€¦THE PAY GAP LIE! :grin:

I agree with you. Iā€™ve never seen a quota system where Iā€™ve been a people leader at. All of the systems were performance based.

1 Like

Which would be fixed with the airline unionized model. No hate.

What does the airline industry use as their primary metric for business success?

Because the method is flawed. Bigly. They donā€™t use any employee data. They compare the salaries of flight attendants (mostly female) to pilots (mostly male). They donā€™t compare them by experience or position. Itā€™s a scam.

My pay is none of Miffyā€™s business.

Getting passengers safely from point a to point b with an on time departure and arrival.
Pilots specifically are tasked with the safe takeoff and landingā€¦

Okay we get it. But if you totally removed the airline industry, the pay gap scam would still exist. Itā€™s a lie with the airlines or without the airlines. You would find the same pay scale difference in any hospital. And itā€™s not because of sexism.

Thatā€™s cool I guess but leads to the entire point of the OP

Schedule. They are fixated on it. It permeates everything they do.

Yes hence the safely on time portion of my statement

Nah you think itā€™s a scam but without public pay numbers you can only guess. Your example of delta pilot, not mine, removes the guesswork

Safety is important. It is not the most important. Schedule is at a cellular level. Please do not attempt to pretend they donā€™t defer maintenance to meet schedules.

Letā€™s try a different industry.

My wife worked in the meat market of a major supermarket chain. She is now retired.

She was in the union and as such everyone in her department made exactly the same. Because we are dealing with human beings, each one brought something different to the table. My wife was a self-starter, and went above and beyond what was required. She got to the point where the manager relied heavily on her to get things done, such as ordering product. That was not in her job description, but she relished the task and told me that she did it to ensure they didnā€™t run out of product when it went on sale. She was very conscientious about keeping the environment spotless and ensuring the product was rotated to minimize out-of-date inventory.

On more than one occasion she would come home in tears, because there were always a handful of individuals who would game the system, with many unauthorized breaks. By and large, they would spend time shooting the bull and had no interest in cleaning, or rotating product.

Being in a union shop, management was never allowed to provide any kind of financial reward to my wife, despite acknowledging how valuable she was to the department. By the same token management was powerless to do anything to change the behavior of those who were simply collecting a paycheck; the very same paycheck my wife was collecting.

1 Like

I donā€™t work for the public, my pay is none of your business.

Thatā€™s because it is. They donā€™t use any actual data points. Just flat salary info. Comparing pro athlete salaries to the cheerleader salaries. This is as unscientific of a poll as you can possibly get. Itā€™s worthless.

1 Like

Maintenance can be deffered without affecting safety. Safety is and should always be at the cellular level. The opportunity cost of a plane not making it to destination with passenger and cargo is just not worth it.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::+1: