Is there a reason to keep The Department of Education?

I believe with reforms it could do a good job. The original idea was solid.

The issue is that since then it has been corrupted by the bureaucrats who were tasked to run it.

There is a reason. The republicans are terrified to go there. Of the hundreds of useless programs, they have eliminated approximately zero.

Reform is needed, but we do need oversite at the federal level to ensure standards around discrimination and equal access are enforced.

Well sure, but that’s not a reason TO keep it. It’s a reason why it’s being kept.

1 Like

Fair enough.

I’m not either. Mr No Repeal Eisenhower set the tone…

The DEA is not needed in any form. This is one of the reasons your retirement date keeps getting pushed back. Is the DEA worth bankrupting the country over?

Exactly. Regarding education, I would bet we were much better off as a country before the Department of Education’s inception in 1980. We focused more on the 3 R’s rather than the worthless outcome-based education programs like Goals 2000, No Child Left Behind, and a plethora of leftist nonsense that has gotten many of our city schools to resemble the third world, regardless of how much is spent.

2 Likes

Y’all don’t see the benefit of having a consistent education standard across the country?

Consistently bad, consistently progressive, consistently.

1 Like

That’s a result of the bureaucrats who had to justify their jobs.

It’s it was reformed as an advisory organization and solely as a helper to local schools rather than a dictate regime, that might be avoided.

Yes but the standard should be basic skills in writing, reading, and mathematics. As well as sciences and basic civics.

The issue was that they went beyond that. Mostly the result of bureaucrats wanting to keep their jobs.

It’s job should be an advisory board.

1 Like

Good in theory but in practice it didn’t bring up the poor performing areas it lowered the good performing areas.

2 Likes

Then reform. An institution being bad… doesn’t mean we get rid of it. Especially one that in theory should be a net value add by standardizing education across the country

Agreed

I don’t think that is true. I believe you are touching on a different problem and that’s socioeconomic standards around public schools and funding. (Or lack there of).

It’s mostly a local issue. Educating kids is expensive.

pai mei no2

White the Department of Education is unhelpful and has caused some problems via mandates, the problem with education goes deeper and some aspects arise at both the State and local school board levels.

Then you have some basic issues with curricula.

This article discusses the popular Eureka math curricula and it’s issues. Basically a half assed rip off of Singapore Math, very poorly implemented.

Yes, the Department of Education should go, but there needs to be major change at the State and local level. The DoE is not the source of ALL of the problems.

1 Like