Is the Government shutdown a good thing?

Where’s the breakdown between legal and illegal immigrants? Are you suggesting that we make it illegal to send money to Mexico?

What does this even mean?

assimilate

verb

[with object]

• 1Take in and understand fully (information or ideas)

‘Marie tried to assimilate the week’s events’

1. 1.1 Absorb and integrate (people, ideas, or culture) into a wider society or culture.

Punting is in your best interest.

Nahhhhh…then you’d ask me to define “punt”.

Could you explain what you mean when you say they aren’t assimilating? Are they assimilating at a slower pace than other immigrants historically, or do you mean they aren’t assimilating at all?

A good example would be the desire to learn the English language… Decades ago when immigrants migrated to the US, that was very important to them. They left behind their old home and made a strong attempt to learn what was new and different about their new home. Assimilating IMO is the desire to reflect and be a part of your new home, not the desire to make your new home as close to your old one as possible.

Do you have anything that backs up your assertion that the immigrants of today learn English at a lower level than immigrants from previous generations? I would really love to go through the research on this topic.

It’s not unusual for the first generation not to speak fluent English.

All the research I’ve seen shows that immigrants learn English faster today than they used to. I’m really interested to see research that counters what I’ve already seen.

Yes…about 2 decades ago, banks began asking their ATM customers to choose between 1 for English and 2 for Spanish. The desire and effort to learn English and recognize it as our national language is diminishing as a direct result of non-assimilation IMO.

Federal workers will eventually be paid for the time they didn’t work. No, it is not a good thing…except for them.

So you actually don’t have anything besides your anecdotal stories?

All the research says immigrants learn English faster today than they did in the 80s.

1 Like

Ahhhhh…what I said doesn’t apply to where you live?

I asked for research. You told me what life was like for you 20 years ago. You’re funny.

The problem of illegal immigration began before then. Come on dude…it was a major political discussion in 1986 where over 12 million illegals were legalized in exchange for the border being secured. You may be so young that you don’t have a reference of when the influence of illegal immigration wasn’t as pronounced as it is today but I do.

partial shutdown is a good start… complete shutdown in Janurary

You’re not.

And away go the goalposts.

1 Like

What does any of that have to do with the fact that immigrants learn English faster today than they did 20, 40, or even 100 years ago?

I thought we were talking about one thing, and now you’re talking about political discussions from 1986? We are talking about how immigrants learn English faster or slower today than they used to, right? Otherwise, I think i’m just confused and I don’t care to try to learn whatever it is you think we’re discussing.

1 Like