Is mispronouncing "Kamala" racist?

Thanks for pointing that out. Now go tell the partisan members of Congress beginning with Nancy Pelosi whose cute snarky references to The President won’t give at a minimum, the respect of the office let alone mention his name.

Because it’s counterintuitive to your American tongue?

Kamala not in the OED yet, but neither was chic until the 1870’s

Only 150 years as an English word.

Maybe by the year 2170, Americans will pronounce Kamala correctly.

But using your example of non acceptance of a foreign word into the English language

Most likely not.

Allan

Those policies were quite disagreeable.

No, it’s not worth the effort because I don’t respect her. I pronounced it “incorrectly” before because of grammar, now it’s just petty racism and misogyny to demonstrate my bias and white privilege.

In Spanish, the accent is usually on the second syllable. If they want you to change it, they use a tilde.

There is no correct pronunciation for Kamala. Each person who bears the name decides how they want to pronounce it. Same with all names.
There was a pro wrestler named Kamala Harris who was popular in the 1960s-1970s. He pronounced it kam-ALA.

It’s not an English word.

They are partisan. No saying that I am not, but I don’t have a political agenda that I am in charge of.

Allan

It’s in the OED. It’s an English word. Just like spaghetti.

Or what do you call it.

Lol

Allan

Or zucchini.

Foreign words that are now Incorporated into the English language.

Allan

Right on, I respect your honesty.

During the 2016 campaign I referred to Trump by his first name because everyone (not just Republicans) referred to Clinton by hers. Got more than one Trump supporter here wagging their fingers at my posts - “disrespectful!” I continued doing so up until last year because I have nothing but contempt for the man and because admittedly it was fun poking those people with a stick over it. It was counterintuitive, but I forced myself to return to using his surname because not doing so felt childish and stupid anymore.

I still have nothing but contempt for the man, in case it wasn’t obvious. :wink:

1 Like

the correct pronunciation is Obamasiah

Is it racist? Misandry?

Sure thing Snooki.

Yes. Everyone just disagreed with Obama’s policies.

I don’t get the reference. You want to get personal?

Naw friend, it’s all good. “I don’t find it worth the effort in this particular case.”

Already gave my opinion of that, my first post in this thread.

Although I suppose individual intent matters. You mentioned petty racism and misogyny in your prior posts as motivations - maybe that’s true for others as well?

This is the new world order.

Everything is racist.

1 Like

“Nobody likes me”- Donald Trump