Is China being permanently lost as an ag export market?

Then post some and show us the connection between Trump’s policies and whatever “pain” China might be feeling.

Agreed.

But the tariffs don’t affect me so I’m glad about that.

Farmers voted for him, so it’s good they’re the ones getting punched in the face.

You do realize that Trump is not seeking to change the balance of trade with China, don’t you? Assuming you do understand this basic reality, why are you supporting this approach if it doesn’t seek to resolve an issue you find so egregious?

1 Like

This is simply false. Obama and TPP was an example of the last administration doing something. In fact, it was going to actually seek to address the trade imbalance and intellectual property theft you claim to abhor.

It was far from perfect, but to claim no one else was doing anything is flatly false on its face.

5 Likes

…because I understand the direct impact on the labor over here and the government assistance paid to those who are unemployed or now under employed. I understand how many small businesses throughout the US have gone out of business, while a Walmart is built in this same market area. I prefer to place my money where my mouth is and purchase goods that say, “American made” on the label.

That was a very long-winded non-sequitur that failed to answer the questions posed. Would you care to answer or are you not interested in discussing this?

1 Like

I did and I’m behind these tariffs.

Another solid move from the President who told us trade wars are easy to win.

I will repeat the request I have made repeatedly and that no one has been able to answer.

Name a Trade War that one side won easily.

And now for a different point of view from July.

Polls of Republicans and Independents suggest that an overwhelming majority support tariffs on China. Leading Democrats are also on Trump’s side here. Both Bernie Sanders and Chuck Schumer are in favor of tariffs.

You did not. Do you know that these tariffs are not designed to change the trade imbalance with China?

And it is fine that you support these taxes on your fellow American consumers, American Businesses, American Farmers, and American Importers. So do most Liberals and Progressives. Especially the hard-left Progressives like Warren.

But in what universe does it logically make sense that the President of the United States can tax fellow Americans to the point that it makes China come to heel?

How do you see this playing out exactly?

Donald Trump: Let’s raise taxes by another 20% on half-a-trillion dollars worth of goods imported from China that the American people are going to be forced to pay!

President Xi: Whoa, whoa, whoa! The American people have been TAXED ENOUGH ALREADY!

Donald Trump: Nyet! That is another 5% for believing the American people don’t love giving CentGov more of their hard earned money!!!

President Xi: Fine, fine…China concedes. We won’t steal intellectual property any longer. Not until the American people stop paying so much in taxes to the US Treasury!

:rofl:

2 Likes

That article was written a week ago.

What’s happened since then?

What are the flaws in the writer’s thinking when it comes to understanding China?

I’ll save time and assume you don’t understand the proper way to validate a hypothesis and tell you how to do it

How would you falsify the author’s hypothesis?

That was two months ago.

What’s happened since?

It may not be working yet but…they are intended to bring jobs back into the US, according to Trump.

Ahhhhhhhhh…so when I supply the article, it’s all different now iyo…amirite? :sunglasses:

I really wish we could feel the pain of 6.2% gdp growth.

No…I approach all articles the same way.

The way to validate a hypothesis is to attempt to falsify it.

That’s how I operate to minimize being led by my bosses.

So…can you answer?

And? So you link to an article that is a month old, and that states that US jobs are not moving back to the US as planned.

From your link…

An index tracking the level of manufacturing jobs brought back to the US decreased for the third year in a row in 2018 despite Trump’s trade measures

When US President Donald Trump’s administration imposed tariffs on US$250 billion of Chinese goods last year, the move was sold to the American public as a magic bullet that would bring jobs back to the US. It misfired.

Under mounting pressure as tariffs threaten to drive up costs, US manufacturers in China are indeed packing up and heading elsewhere. Companies including Nike, Crocs, Roomba and GoPro are now producing most of their goods outside the country, having set up operations in Vietnam, India, Bangladesh and Mexico. Dell, Sony, Nintendo and HP are reportedly considering such moves.

But very few are moving back to the US.

Do you even read what you link to? Wait…don’t answer. I already know…

Here is more good information…

Elon Musk may be excited about announcing the launch of his Boring Company in China this week. Musk says China is the future. He’s right. Especially if this keeps up: over 90% of American companies in China say that their Chinese competition, both state and private, receive “tangible benefits” that they do not. In other words, a near plurality of American companies say they are playing on a totally uneven playing field. But herein lies the rub. They all want to be there anyway, and less than 10% have plans to leave.

China’s rise has put Western style capitalism on notice. From the point of borderless, multinational corporations, whose main home is the Nasdaq or the New York Stock Exchange, current tariffs on China are not enough to persuade them to leave. China is where it’s at, freedom or no freedom. No one in the C-suite is really all that worried about it.

Which again shows that the Trump Trade War(R) is not addressing the trade imbalance. So why are you so gung ho on this approach?

1 Like

Great post.
Big Ag?

Monsanto. ConAgra.

Read up on how agriculture on this country changed when the federal government stopped lending money to farmers and started subsidizing them instead.

Fascinating take with wide-reaching effects.

The quick summary? Farmers are bribed and kept on subsistence levels by the subsidies so they’ll grow food stock corn that’s used to provide cheap inputs into making processed foods.

The farmers are subsidized but they barely eke out a living.

The subsidies really benefit Monsanto and ConAgra.

2 Likes

The article about companies not caring about whether China’s market is fair makes perfect sense.

Businesses crave stability over all. If they understand their trading markets and realize they are a stable thing, they’re perfectly fine adjusting to the unfairness.

1 Like