Is China being permanently lost as an ag export market?

Absolutely. And doubly so when the market is as large as China’s market is.

Me too and for the record, I’m doing my best to make that happen. :sunglasses:

Ahhhhhhhhhh…so Trump’s intent isn’t what was important to you? Once you get spanked on one ball field, move the goal posts and try again…amirite? :sunglasses:

Trump’s intent is pointless if the policies he crafted won’t get him there.

It’s like my intent is to win the Powerball but my strategy is to buy Pick 4 tickets.

2 Likes

No. Results are what’s important.

1 Like

Who gives a care what Trump tells you his “intent” is, if the results are not borne out by the policy? I cannot believe this needs to be explained.

As for “moving the goalposts” you are one to talk. As this whole discussion was initiated by the fact you decried the trade imbalance, and when it was pointed out that Trump’s policies do nothing to address said imbalance, you then move on to talking about Trump’s intent is designed to bring jobs back, which is not even happening. Good gravy man. :rofl:

Spanked on one ball field? Bwahahahahahaha!!!

But @Smyrna is totally being consistent. Don’t you remember him defending Obama’s intentions after the ACA didn’t meet expectations?

Yep, i remember that as well.

I expect that talking point to be how the lack of fulfilled promises will be spun

Thanks, Tim. I am aware of such documents, and of China’s trade practices.

However, my critique is of Trump as a leader. If his case is so strong, and strategy so sound, he must share that with us. Whether it’s a primetime address, fireside chat or a press conference. And most importantly, he must say, ‘this may hurt for a while, but stay with me, we’ll all be benefitted in the end’, etc. Leaders do that when asking their own folks to suffer.

Instead, he enacts with the explanation, ‘China has been really, really bad’.

Documents are simply support materials effective leaders use to eloquently and persuasively get a people’s buy in to their policies. We have the former. Need the latter.

1 Like

Trump is doing his best to prevent it from happening. This trade war is a direct drag on our economy and given that we’re operating in the 2-3% range rather than 6+%, we are going to start feeling the pain significantly sooner and more harshly than the Chinese. We’re going to start reaching contraction levels early next year if Trump does not change course.

1 Like

Mine is to work smart and win at life itself and…it’s a great strategy. :sunglasses:

That’s nice albeit totally irrelevant to discussing Trump’s strategies.

1 Like

If 10,000 farms are lost, I think it being the right thing becomes highly debatable. Or 20,000 or more. Do some digging and you’ll find those are not crazy numbers.

1 Like

It would also be helpful if Trump acknowledged these numbers. Because he’s still telling everyone that he’s just doing great things with trade.

https://www.axios.com/trump-trade-deficit-world-china-6c0e421a-872d-4232-951c-511e0c785f68.html

1 Like

But you see, it is all about what Trump said he was going to accomplish. You know, his intent. The results don’t matter man.

IMO…the tariffs collected should reimburse those that are affected. That’s only fair and I’m surprised this hasn’t been suggested.

This is adorably naive.

Three years in and you still believe the President cares about the workers he’s impacting.

Remember those billions that were supposed to help the farmers, and the bulk of that money flowed to Big Ag concerns like that meat packing plant owned by two Brazillian…well…pretty much crooks?

That should show you who he’s thinking of.

2 Likes

Hey Mr. Bitter…good morning to you too. :sunglasses:

You mistake realism and a rapier-like wit for bitterness…a common error.

2 Likes