Is China being permanently lost as an ag export market?

Truth…

I openly suffer from a galloping case of Trump Derangement Syndrome. I also believe a narcissistic, lying reprobate can be a good leader if they lead.

When a leader enacts policies that knowingly will cause suffering to his/her own citizens, he should tell them so. In advance. If Trump were a real leader rather than a reactive one he would:

-lay out for us the ways in which China trade behaviors hurt us.
-explain the measures he intends to take to bring the Chinese in line.
-give us an estimated timeline and risks involved.

Heck even Jimmy Carter (let the slinging begin) told us about his ‘austerity budget’ to get our buy in. His policies may not have worked but he explained the why and wherefore. We’re owed that, I think.

Trump? Absolutely will not and cannot. I have no idea what he’s doing and wake up every day uncertain as to things that affect me and countless Americans.

Failure at leadership 101.

4 Likes

It takes along time to build reliable supply chains. After Trump has convinced the Chinese to alter their supply chains for agricultural products, what possible incentive would they have for ripping them back up, root and stem, to buy American again?

The longer this drags on, the more the the concrete for the infrastructure to buy elsewhere cures.

2 Likes

It may be too late already.

2 Likes

You have something in common with the President!

That would be detailed in the comprehensive report where China’s behavior is broken into specific areas of concern:

I. Intro
II. China’s Unfair Technology Transfer Regime for U.S. Companies in China
III. China’s Discriminatory Licensing Restrictions
IV. Outbound Investment
V. Unauthorized Intrusions into U.S. Commercial Computer Networks and Cyber-Enabled Theft of Intellectual Property and Sensitive Commercial Information
VI. Other Acts, Policies, and Practices of China

That would be found under the disputes filed against China within the World Trade Organization. Here is one such example…

https://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/dispu_e/cases_e/ds558_e.htm/

Might have been a good idea to enlist the help of our allies and other countries to compel changes to China’s behavior instead of pissing them off and thinking Trump has been chosen to do this on his own.

By the way, your link to the World Trade Organization is broken. Is that ironic?

2 Likes

thats not happening.
according to the USDA worldwide US soybean exports are down over 40% since the trade war started.

And yet Senator Warren and Senator Sanders in the democratic primaries polling 2nd and 3rd in the polls want to be just as tough if not tougher on China. I wonder if the trade tune on the left with China will change if one of these two win and go down the same path as trump :thinking:

((Sanders has been consistent on China for years. It is not a talking point with him as it feels with Biden. Sanders can be counted on to track the views of Senate minority leader Chuck Schumer, who has sided with Trump consistently on the China front.

For free traders, Sanders is unlikely to revamp ex-President Obama’s Trans-Pacific Partnership, a trade arrangement between Pacific Rim nations that ostracized China. The TPP is not the way to bring manufacturing jobs to mid-sized cities across the country. That’s a way to get rid of them and build warehouses to store Made in Asia goods instead.

Therefore, Sanders is negative for China trade and negative for China stocks.

Elizabeth Warren won’t save China either. CNBC host Jim Cramer said he thinks Warren would be tough on China. "There’s no trade talks with Warren,” Cramer said.“Trump’s deal is a better deal than Warren is offering. ”Warren is a diehard economic nationalist. Call her the kinder, gentler Trump, minus the tax cuts.))

Resolution to trade disputes between the US and China bilateral agreement are resolved through enforcement of the Tariff Act of 1930.

Prior administrations have used the same countervailing duties to resolve trade disputes with China. The Obama administration utilized section 702 duties against China’s dumping of tires and semiconductors. Do you think those duties “pissed them off”?

1 Like

I wasn’t talking about our allies getting pissed off because of Trump’s bilateral trade talks. He has done plenty of other things to piss them off.

1 Like

IMO…there’s a battle that is 100% necessary due to the imbalance of trade and the cheating that has gone on from China. They are a smaller economy and will take the brunt of the bad side with in this trade war. The problem is though, that I see China as a small fighter plane and the US as a battleship…so…what is China to do? They’ll go kamikaze and no one wins…everybody loses. That’s China and Trump is still doing what must be done. China is NOT an honorable trading partner.

1 Like

China needs to curb its human rights abuses and honor its contracts before I care much about trading with them.

FWIW…Interesting to note that we have so much excess food production capacity that the idea farmers have no “market” is being leveraged in any way. Used to be that hunger and starvation made the headlines…BUT we have it SOOOO rough today.

:corn:

Trump doesn’t not understand economics, was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, never hung with the people that voted for them and has zero understanding of the circumstances of their lives much less actual concern for them. He listens to no one other than his own unempathetic self. And these farmers and miners and whoever else voted for this will rationalize and make excuses for their poor voting decision rather than admitting this mistake and changing things.

Yeah…everything would be hunky dory right now with China, if Trump did nothing? It was all getting better on it’s own…amirite? :sunglasses:

Is it not possible that the GOP elected someone with a losing strategy and either the strategy should change or someone else would what been more capable than Trump? Doing something is not better than doing nothing if that flavor is something is worse.

I don’t disagree but nobody was going to ever…do anything and what Trump is doing, is the right thing to get China’s attention and cooperation going forward. As a whole, China is feeling this much more than “we” are.

Proof that this is true?

There are plenty of articles that state this by sources that do not usually publish articles favoring Trump.