Iran admits they shot down the Ukrainian airliner

I wonder how long the outside world will not fly into Iran? The longer it goes, the higher the price Iran is paying for their…“mistake”.

Personally, I’m not buying it. This wasn’t a mistake. It was intentional. This took place in the early night over Tehran, where all could see it and feel vindicated for their loss of Soleimani plus demonstrate their strength to those who’d consider overthrowing the current regime.

Do you honestly think the Iranians care if Canadian citizens’ remains are repatriated back to Canada? Has Canada sent forensic teams to identify remains?
Hell, two days ago it was being reported the site was being scavenged by civilians and bulldozed!
Expect in typical Persian deceptiveness to find out any “remains” to be animal bones

Another item to consider…how many Americans were on the flight? Coincidence? I think not.

Three from what I read.

According to Ukrainian foreign minister Vadym Prystaiko and flight manifest released by UIA,[36] out of the 167 passengers’ citizenship, 82 were confirmed to be Iranian, 63 were Canadian, 3 were British, 4 were Afghans, 10 were Swedish and 3 were Germans. 11 Ukrainians were also onboard, nine of them being the crew.[6][27] The German Foreign Ministry denied any Germans were aboard.[37] The three individuals in question were Afghan nationals who lived in Germany as asylum seekers.[28]

I wish there was a way if it could be checked, whether or not the flight manifest was looked into by Iranian authorities? If so, that’d be proof that this was no accident.

Human error overrides tech every time, and humans are pretty much the same from 1988 to now.

I read somewhere they were from California.

Well then…that doesn’t count. :sunglasses:

They might have been Canadians studying in the US. I can’t find it now.

I’m actually going to hand it to Iran for coming clean about the downing. There’s a number of angles I can see why they would attempt to cover up their fault, but dropped the charade. It’s weirdly refreshing to see a state admit to screw up instead of forever denials and stonewalls. It’s a low bar to clear of course, but one many governments have trouble with, especially the US right now and it’s executive and congressional leadership.

1 Like

How about…it’s all on video. There’s nothing they can hide…except the black box.

Technology. Iguess there could be worse justifications for shooting down a a civilian airline. Not many but I’m sure there’a a few

My wife’s squadron was tasked with returning the Polish victims’ bodies back to Poland…she stated there was a lot of hate for Americans in Italy when that happened and they had to stay on base.

Do you realize how many hundreds of thousands of civilians the United States has killed in the Middle East just since 2001?

When military solutions become the favored solutions…this is what happens.

Of course and they were actively trying to suppress evidence. I cannot help but draw comparisons to the current US impeachment debacle where the elements of the state are seeking to misrepresent facts, suppress evidence and thwart and investigation to maintain power. The fact they feel this is a threat means there is smoke to that fire but our government is acting akin to the Iranian leadership. We make excuses it’s OK and paint certain distinctions but it’s really the same tactics for the same end.

Because while he didn’t make them accidentally shoot down an airplane his actions indirectly led to it.

Past presidents.

You could say that of Iran’s actions leading up to Trump’s decision to act as well could you not?

Compared to us damn near everyone is using 1988 technology. Iran is especially (and rightfully) floored due to our sanctions and export controls.

I was seriously shocked to see HD 1080i footage coming from Iran. Think about it, for years we get footage of Mullah’s speaking and people chanting from their grainy budget sources. I had to pause as I was watching footage of their funeral procession because i realized it was the first time it looked like a place within our same time.

Count on Iran to hack into a drone, the cost of doing that is low. Tracking and shooting down a cruise missile is many levels up.

For us, civilians, the lesson here is don’t fly over wars. ■■■■■■■ are easy come easy go. Life is cheap.

Horse ■■■■■ Who told you that?