Inner city schools are facing declining enrollment

Yep, it’s all intertwined. Go a mile or 2 in any direction and things can change quickly

San Diego is the same way. Chula Vista with Coronado, Downtown SD, North Park literally next door.

Playing the class warfare card is like falling off a log for some folks. It’s almost like they were getting an advertising sponsorship or something.

Homeschooling is well within reach of even those in the lower economic tier. Homeschooling cooperatives exist that recycle and share textbooks and other supplies. There is a wealth of online resources and literature available to homeschooling families.

And certain varieties of homeschooling, particularly classical, require an extremely minimal amount of parental time, with students directing their own education and self learning.

1 Like

It requires at least one parent to be home. That’s increasingly difficult when two income families are a necessity

Does it? From 0730-1530?

zat rite? Sounds promising.

Yes. Homeschool

1 Like

:rofl::+1:t4:

Many homeschooling families don’t even do traditional 7-8 days. They get more done in a shorter amount of time. No one needs to be home and run a full school day unlike public school to be productive.

1 Like

That’d be my surmise. Half the school day is wasted in public schools anyway.

3 Likes

I would guess that home schooling has some very positive aspects that are superior to government run schools but I also believe that the economic position most are in, is an aspect of their education. I’d have to question the success of large inner city home schooling based on this assumption.

It’s not to much economic as willingness. If you don’t have the desireto work at it by both parties (child and parent) it wont work. There are enough free resources out there no one shouldn’t be able to get what they need.

Agreed. The willingness “chicken” comes before the economic “egg”.

1 Like

A parent still needs to be home. Even if only 3-4 hours a day. Someone must be there to teach.

Even during the pandemic distance learning, my kids spent 2-3 hours on zoom.

Much of a teacher’s job in class revolves around classroom management and busy work. Furthermore, in high school students are herded around like cattle from one class to the next generally of completely different subject matter. There’s little genuine learning taking place under such a system as nobody can absorb and retain the volume and various forms of content.

1 Like

You do realize there are many online homeschool options with a teacher where a parent is not the one teaching. Just like many online college courses but for numerous age groups.

So you are going to sit a 7 year old a home by themselves?

If parents know one of them will not be home, you think they are going to choose to homeschool?

Quit creating scenarios I did not address. I addressed the parent having to be the one doing the teaching. That is not necessarily the case.

You seem to have a problem understanding posts you respond to. Fond of strawmen?

1 Like

Of course not, but you must have missed part of the post you responded to.

That’s the issue overall. It’s not necessarily the teaching part. It’s the being at home part that’s the bigger issue.

You responded to my entire post where I clearly led with “the parent needs to be home”

Lol

That’s the first part of the post you responded to. Calm down